Corsair Community

Windows Stop Error

flyguyAZ

I believe I have some bad memory. I recently installed a pair of Corsair XMS2 512MB modules (CM2X512A-6400 ver4.1) in addition to the exising pair of 1GB modules I already have installed. Shortly after installation I started randomly receiving a Windows stop error, 0x0000008E, Win32k.sys. There are also entries in the event viewer stating there is a bad memory module. Memtest also produces errors.

These problems disappear and memtest produces no errors once I remove the modules. How do I go about getting an RMA?

*EDIT* I have applied for a RMA in case# 744541. Please let me know if further information is required. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

Please test the new modules one at a time in the system to make sure you are not running into a loading issue on the chipset when populating all four slots. If one of the modules fails and the other works, then we will need to replace both of them for you. However, if you get errors with both of them that would usually suggest some other problem.

Here is an article which may help explain a few things to be aware up when you are upgrading your current memory: http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN806_Memory_Upgrade_Resource_Guide.pdf

Please test the new modules one at a time in the system to make sure you are not running into a loading issue on the chipset when populating all four slots. If one of the modules fails and the other works, then we will need to replace both of them for you. However, if you get errors with both of them that would usually suggest some other problem.

Here is an article which may help explain a few things to be aware up when you are upgrading your current memory: http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN806_Memory_Upgrade_Resource_Guide.pdf

Thanks for the article link. I ran memtest again with just a single 512 module installed, one at a time. The test did indeed fail for only one of the 512 modules. The test also passed successfully for 3 dimms installed (with the good 512 module installled).

Archived