Corsair Community

Blackout On 4GB Memory Gaming

Akumajou

I recently added 2GB of memory to my P4P800 for a total of 4GB, and immediately began experiencing visible performance problems in games. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that setting Maximum Memory in System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to 3300MB (I didn't test every 1MB below the limit, by the way), down from the limit of 3328 (using 1 or 2MB less than this still resulted in performance problems...) restored performance to pre-4GB levels (edit: unsure of this now). I'm aware of x86 architecture not being able to utilize 4GB of memory, so this isn't about that. What's going on here? Is there any way to avoid adding a memory limit?

(updated) I had been using the last beta BIOS (1021.006) for my P4P800, so I decided to try the last non-beta (1019). With 1019, 3584MB of memory is detected, up from 3327MB on 1021.006. There's a major usability problem with 1019 however. The screen will go black from time to time when in games while sounds can still be heard. When the game is actually seen, it seems to be running at normal performance (unlike the problem I mentioned before). So... any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR333 and set the memory Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well if its listed and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• Corsair Employees
You can set the timings manually to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and see if it will run about the same as Cas 3 at DDR400 but remember to set the memory Voltage to at least 2.7 Volts. And make sure command Rate if its listed is at 2T.

I noticed that 1 of my 4 sticks has gold 'Corsair' lettering on the PCB, and that 1 of the 4 lacks a 166 Frequency column in CPU-Z's SPD/Timings Table while the other 3 have 166 and 200 columns. The gold lettering and lack of 166 column don't seem to correspond however, unless CPU-Z's slot #s listing is reversed (I'm going to confirm this now - (edit: they don't correspond). Is any of this relevant, could it be causing an incompatibility?

Archived