Corsair Community

The Good - The Bad - The Head Scratcher

xhackr

Here is an update on an old issue. [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=23720[/url] Ram Guy mentioned disabling the legacy USB. Now this does not fix the issue of not being able to run at the rated timings at a 200FSB, but it does allow a 220FSB at 1:1 with the same 2.5-3-2-6 that I am forced to run at a 200FSB. Doesn’t fix the problem, but that's GOOD STUFF! A RMA is then recommended - I agree. Next: I received two new sticks from Corsair. The Good: Corsair was extremely accommodating for this RMA, and has demonstrated here and elsewhere they are a customer orientated company. This is refreshing considering the lack of customer support that is becoming all too frequent in other organizations. Thank you Corsair. The Bad: I pop these babies in and the system is unstable, and no amount of BIOS fiddling can make it right. I have the old sticks so I pop them back in and all is fine again. I start to think, maybe I didn’t seat the new sticks, or mommied something else. So, I give it go again with the new sticks... then all hell breaks loose. I spent the rest of the day doing damage control on a semi screwed registry. The Head Scratcher: I am now running the old sticks, and all is fine notwithstanding the original issue - cannot run at specified timings at a 200FSB. Now while 2.5-3-2-6 with a 220FSB at 1:1 is quite respectable, I am at a loss why they won't run at the spec timings with a 200FSB. Also, are the new sticks bad, or is there something in the v1.1 that is the culprit. Reference: The original sticks: CMX-512-3200LLPRO XMS3205V1.0 0351031 The replacement sticks: CMX-512-3200LLPRO XMS3205V1.1 0349074-3 Can anyone (Ram Guy) tell me the specific difference between these two modules and was this part ever manufactured with BH-5 chips? Also, how can I tell what chips are used in my current part? Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
This module has allways been made with Winbond Rev C -5 IC's. Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have? The problem that you have described sounds more like a bios or failing MB to me than a bad module!

Please explain how you would suspect a failing MB when the old sticks work without a problem at 2.5-3-2-6 and the system is stable even at a 220FSB. The only stability issues are with the replacement memory. Do you know the specific difference between these two modules? If so, please detail it here. All system specs are contained in the original thread which is referenced above in my post. Thank you for your help.

• Corsair Employees
First thing, these modules are rated at Cass 2-3-2-6 at DDR400. Next thing is, the revision difference is because of a PCB change, The IC's are exactly the same. I would suggest testing the modules one at a time at the tested settings with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url], and see if there is a problem. Third thing, when you run them one up you may be able to get a higher over clock then you can with both modules installed. That's normal and due to more chipset loading! If you still have problems, please tell exactly what you are doing? Make and model of MB and the CPU speed and it’s FSB, and the bios settings you have set away from bios default settings!

At this point overclocking is neither an issue nor a concern as the replacement modules are bad. I do not see any logic here that would indicate a MB issue. But for completeness I have tested the modules in memtest86, and they fail on the first pass. Tests were conducted at the BIOS defaults, and your original recommendations (see link above and below). Those failures are reproducible. At all the same parameters the original modules pass. As these modules are sold as a set and other memory runs stable and pass memtest86 in dual channel mode it is superfluous to test individually. If this is not correct, please explain in detail. I have referenced the original post three times, and I will reference it again – for all system specifications and your recommended settings, please see the original post here: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=23720[/url] Below is an except from that thread. P4P800 DLX BIOS-1016 P4-3.0c D1-9 Retail Box TWINX1024-3200LLPRO WD 200GB 7200 WD2000JD SATA BFG GeForce FX 5700 Ultra ANTEC TRUEBLUE 480

• Corsair Employees
If you have went through 2 sets of modules and they are still failing, then there is likely some other problem. These modules are tested three times before they leave our factory, and it would be very hard to get one that will not run at the tested settings. 1. Did you have legacy USB disabled? 2. Did you have the Dim Voltage set to 2.75 Volts? 3. Did you have any of the performance options set in the bios? 4. What did you have the CPU and memory set to?

Before I even address with you what you think is likely another problem, I will ask that you to read these two threads before responding. All your questions here have been previously answered. It is going to be impossible to maintain a cohesive conversation here if you do not. Had you done this, frankly I don’t think you would even consider anything other than this memory being bad, and you certainly would not have asked the above questions.

[QUOTE]As these modules are sold as a set and other memory runs stable and pass memtest86 in dual channel mode it is superfluous to test individually. If this is not correct, please explain in detail.[/QUOTE] Just because they are sold as a set, do you assume they would both fail at the same time. If RAM GUY can't fix the problem he'll replace the sticks as previously stated. You really should show more respect, afterall you came "here" for help.

• Corsair Employees
Well, lets try and clear the air a bit here! First off, xhackr; if I have offended you in any way I am truly sorry! That was not my intent! Please try to understand I post more than 400 posts a week in addition to many other duties so I have a full plate. In addition to that I understand how frustrating this can be when things do not work like they are supposed to. And many times I will ask again for more reasons than what's obvious. Now these questions that I have asked, I have read the whole thread and do not see an answer to them that's why I asked! 1. Did you have legacy USB disabled? 2. Did you have the Dim Voltage set to 2.75 Volts? 3. Did you have any of the performance options set in the bios? 4. What did you have the CPU and memory set to?

I have previously stated that I have tried all your recommendations that you suggested in the original thread. The original thread is a short six posts, and not only does it include all the aforementioned data answering all your current questions, it provides important continuity to this issue. I have referenced that original thread several times, and provided links to it twice here in this thread. You have not read it, and there is not much more I can do. Finally, thank you, but there is no need to apologize, I am not offended. Your apology indicates to me you read a “tone” in my post(s) that is unintended. I am a rather direct person and I don’t mince words - so, my apologies here now and possibly in the future. My time, like yours and many others is valuable, and we are not getting anywhere here. While I could have just waited for your questions, and said, “Yes I’ve tried this, and yes I’ve tried that”, I was preemptive to save time and answered those questions before you asked them hoping to save time and posts. I could have answered them a second time however like I said, the original post is part and parcel to this issue and its read is important. In the wake of my multiple references, links, and now requests that you take a moment to read it, for whatever reason you have not, so this issue is not getting anywhere. I am sensitive to the challenges you may have with your current work load. If my previous requests have taxed you beyond that, please let me know so I may address this issue appropriately elsewhere.

• Corsair Employees
LOL! O.K. if you just want to try another RMA. Please reply the last email you got from our Customer Service and explain that you have the same issue and you have posted this on the forum. I would suggest that you get a new RMA # but email before you send the modules. I would like to have you send them directly to My Attention and I will be happy to personally test them for you!

Archived