Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C5 Different Revisions and Voltages? Is that okay?

mofo88

Hi all,

My specs are listed on my name.

I bought this ram: TWIN2X4096-6400C5

I have now purchased another set of the same ram.

When I received it from newegg, the revision numbers are both the same, but the voltages are different. One set is 1.9 and the other set is 1.8.

The motherboard voltage is currently at 1.9.

I installed the memory into their own channels and they are running DDR 2 800 just fine.

They are the same timings. I ran Memtest86+ for over 3 hours with several passes.

Is this alright?

Same model.

Same speed.

Same revision.

Same timings.

Different Voltages.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hi,

So far the ram has been running stable. I can up the memory voltage. I know where to up the NB voltage. What is the MCH voltage?

Are there any other optimizing settings I should do as well? Like adjusting the performance mode or anything?

Thank you,

Fo

Hi,

So far the ram has been running stable. I can up the memory voltage. I know where to up the NB voltage. What is the MCH voltage?

MCH = Northbridge.

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean they will not work, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects ie. errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD and Intel i7) or on Motherboard (Intel Legacy) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

You are now informed, and you have your choice what to do with your DRAM.

Well I upped the ram voltage to 2.0 and NB voltage up .2 and changed my timings from 5-5-5-18 to 5-5-5-12 and ran memtest86+ and it passed

if it starts acting funky ill go back to default timings and 1.9 volts.

So far its been stable and great performance.

I don't have the money for a quad kit. lol

I'd drop the bandwidth to 667, but it's your stuff. By the time it gets wonky you might well have a non starting system and a RMA of the motherboard. Hopefully you have access to other computers.

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean they will not work, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work.

:roll:

So far its been stable and great performance.

and if you do have problems DDR667 would be suggested.

mofo88, I'd suggest you follow the advice posted in this thread by the Corsair employee. I'd also suggest reading up on the terms of your warranties. (Corsair's is here) By the looks of Corsair's terms you should be covered if they fail. Asus's terms aren't quite as clear, but you should also be completely covered there. (Asus's warranty terms are here)

Hope my 5 minutes of research, combined with the knowledge of Corsair's employee, helped.

Also, this level of condescension is simply disgusting:

You are now informed, and you have your choice what to do with your DRAM.

Also, this level of condescension is simply disgusting:

I am sorry if you take my words of warning as arrogance. They are not intended as such. They are intended to emphasize the issues that can arise with such a DRAM population.

Edit:

This does not mean they will not work, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects ie. errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad.

The memory is warranted for lifetime for any hardware errors. There is no support at the RMA level for two twin sets that do not work together unless there are physical damages to any module.

Archived