Corsair Community

Asus P5W DH and 8GB Memory

tlmaclennan

Sorry for being another person asking the same question...it really seems like this one has been beaten like a dead horse...

I recently bought 2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 to get a total of 8GB of memory. This past week I've been researching all the posts on my motherboard, 8GB of memory, limitations of using all four memory slots, etc...anything that could help me decide if 8GB was worth it.

I've come to the conclusion that:

- You must enable "Memory Remapping" before installing Windows 64-bit

- With 4 slots filled, I should set the DRAM frequency to 667MHz

- Set the MCH +.2V

- Manually insert memory timings in BIOS and adjust voltage

- Memtest

Now I'm perfectly content with that, but I've come across a post by DerekT

suggesting that if I use this memory and expect to run at 800MHz then I must overclock. What is your take on this? I would only want to overclock to get the maximum performance out of my memory, not my CPU. Though is 800MHz really necessary when I'm currently running 3GB at 667MHz and it is fast enough?

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360

I'm just trying to balance running at 800MHz and potentially harming the computer, or running at 667MHz and not maximizing the memory potential.

And with dual-booting Vista 32-bit and 64-bit, does the "memory remapping" feature affect how Vista 32-bit runs? Is there a problem with this?

Thanks for the help!

• Corsair Employees
I've come to the conclusion that:

- You must enable "Memory Remapping" before installing Windows 64-bit

- With 4 slots filled, I should set the DRAM frequency to 667MHz

- Set the MCH +.2V

- Manually insert memory timings in BIOS and adjust voltage

- Memtest

What DEREKT posted was right on target and correct please follow his suggestions. And in addition to this I would set the memory Voltage to 1.9-2.0 Volts.

I just received the first kit of memory and I'm currently using memtest to check for errors. One thing I'm confused about is the memory voltage I should use. On the actually RAM it specifies 1.8v but on the Corsair site it lists the voltage as 1.9v. Which should I use? This is just a temporary situation until I get the other sticks next week.

Thanks for the help.

I just received the first kit of memory and I'm currently using memtest to check for errors. One thing I'm confused about is the memory voltage I should use. On the actually RAM it specifies 1.8v but on the Corsair site it lists the voltage as 1.9v. Which should I use? This is just a temporary situation until I get the other sticks next week.

Thanks for the help.

Different fabrications are shown by the integer change in version. Often the SPD and voltages can vary. Your module shows you what voltage that it has been tested at and found functional.

Please post the version of both sets of modules.

Archived