Corsair Community

TX750 Shuts down and stays down

SoloHan

I have TX750 driving a system that doesn't need nearly that much power. About a week after I built the system, the computer suddenly rebooted when I was playing a game. I didn't think anything of it.

Over the next few days, however, it continued shutting down sporadically. Worse yet, the computer would not turn on after these shutdowns until after I had unplugged and plugged back in the wall cord and had waited a long time, sometimes as long as four hours.

Now the computer will not stay on for more than a few minutes before shutting down, even if it is only idling at the desktop.

There are other symptoms that point to the power supply, I think.

• When I push the power button to start the computer, it always spins the fans up for a second, shuts off for a few seconds, and turns on itself again.
  • After the computer turns off (not by my shutting down the system), it sometimes will (try) to turn back on and I can hear the SATA harddrive trying to spin up and failing repeatedly (while the computer is on), followed by my computer reporting that it couldn't find a bootable HD and asking me to insert a bootable disk into the CD drive.

What can I do to test whether it is, in fact, a bad power supply and not a problem with my motherboard?

*edit/additional info: I know software and BIOS voltage readings are generally inaccurate, but immediately after the computer turns off and it reboots itself, the BIOS reports a very low +12v reading, sometimes less than 11v. When I start the computer after it's been off for a long time, however, the BIOS reports a (healthier) 11.6-11.8v.

• 2 months later...

I had my motherboard replaced, but my problems persist. For the first few days since replacing the motherboard, everything was running fine.

My +12V readings were 11.98V from BIOS and 11.8V from software. Today, though, my computer inexplicably restarted. I was worried so I entered BIOS, and, sure enough, my +12V readings were way down and fluctuating wildly between 10.2V and 11.2V. I booted into Windows with my fingers crossed, and ten minutes later my computer shut off again, and wouldn't turn on again.

I flipped the PSU off, unplugged it from the wall, and let it sit for a couple hours. When I turned it on again, the same thing happened ten minutes later. Additionally, my case fans are audibly varying in speed although I have them set to run full-blast (with no throttling), and my SATA harddrive takes a few minutes to be detected on boot -- I can hear it trying to spin up and failing.

My PSU is a dud!

Hmm, I have a TX750 too, and this is interesting... Last Friday I was normally browsing the Internet when my PC just goes down without any reasonable explanation (no overclocks whatsoever)... after a few seconds goes On again but without actually booting the PC. The only different signals are: the vga lightens up his PCB 3 red LED's and nothing really happens next... monitor is off, fans are spinning but nothing more.

Then while I was wondering what was happening, the PC shuts down and this time the PC never turns on again. Mboard green LED is On but nothing happens/turns on when pressing the power switch.

Next: I tried my old P5K-E mboard... it stays like the first case: fans spin and my HD4870 lightens up his 3 red LED's. Nothing more.

Two days ago I tried both mboards with a friend's power supply:

- Asus P5E Dlx is definitely "dead"

- Asus P5K-E turns on normally, and vga's red LED's are off. Everything is ok.

Conclusion: I have no idea what happened that day but both Corsair TX750 and my new mboard P5E Dlx are good as "dead".

One week ago when I installed that new P5E Dlx I noticed that my Logitech G15 applet was reading around 10V in the "+12V" rail... I thought it was a simple sensor or software misreading, but now, considering what happened... maybe it wasn't...

Archived