Corsair Community

4-up basics

baz55

hi good folks!

just a quicky as i am sure it's all been done before; can't find anything though :o:

i was able to acquire an additional 2x 1024/6400c4 dhx.

i appreciate that this is going to change my timings to maintain stability, but i'm not bothered about tight timings.

could someone please direct me to a previous post or suggest the settings for 4 mods? will there be any need to up the n/bridge voltage? i understand that ram voltage is unaffected at stock timings (?)

thanx for any pointers

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

thanx for your input ramguy, story so far: as i had been

using the 4gig @ 5.5.5.18/2.0v for most of the day, i thought that i'd give it a whirl based on your voltage suggestions. being a gigabyte board, i didn't know the default voltages so i took the reading from Everest; 2.1v

and upped the n/bridge by .2v....

set memtest86+ to run and went out for 5hrs....

on my return, no errors had occurred. the only time my system sweats is when i play oblivion, so what are the chances of my being okay?

what difference is reducing my mem speed to 667 going to make in real terms for gaming? bearing in mind the poor latencies of ddr2 compared to ddr1?

thank you

Actually, with the AMD Processor and its on CPU die memory controller, you already have blistering speed. The timings make a far greater difference with your system.

Download memtest from http://www.memtest.org and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before. Insert these values:

MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T)CPU Frequency (MHz) = 200PCIE Clock (MHz) = 100CPU Clock Ratio = 14Robust Graphics Booster = AutoDDR2 OverVoltage Control = +.3vChipset/PCIE Voltage = +.2vHT-Link Voltage = +.1vCPU-HT-Link Voltage = +.1vCPU Voltage Control = AutoDRAM ConfigurationSet Memory Clock = ManualMemory Clock = DDR2 667DDRII Timing = ManualMemory TimingsCAS Latency = 4RAS to CAS R/W Delay = 4RAS to RAS Delay = 4 clocksMinimum RAS Activity Time = 121T/2T Command Timing = 2T

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

thanx derekT, i have hastily scribbled down the voltages that i have not yet altered. very interesting to learn that the timings are more important than the speed; i am learning here!!

i shall go hence and do....back in a couple of hours :biggrin:

back again....

memtest86+ all okay.

all advised timings and voltages set.

observations:

according to cpuz/everest my memory is running at 312.6 (625)

according to memtest it's 351 (701)

set in bios at 667...i assume this is about multipliers?

everest benchmarks:

read: 7439 (8332 @ 800mhz/5.5.5.18)

write: 8053 (8056 @ 800mhz)

copy: 7713 (8932 @ 800mhz)

latency: 55.6ns (50.5ns @ 800mhz)

installed 3d06: 10200 marks

defragged ran again @ 800: 10279!!!

assume this is cpu bottleneck?

very educating. anything not too risky i can do about the mem.speed?

thank you for your input

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

installed 3d06: 10200 marks

defragged ran again @ 800: 10279!!!

assume this is cpu bottleneck?

Yes, this is the issue.

very educating. anything not too risky i can do about the mem.speed?

thank you for your input

The issue is that you do not want to damage the on cpu memory controller. There's not much you can really do other than removing two sticks. Otherwise the CPU Memory Controller (already known to be wonky when you try and run full bore with four slots populated) can be damaged. I have personally seen this happen.

Archived