Corsair Community

Question about 2 pairs of TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX

Shined

Hi Ram guy,

Still have to note my HD's in my profile so I apologize but I will get to it. I do have 5 Sata drives + Sata burner + ATA HD but need to look up all the names etc.

I'm running my memory currently with no problems @ 1600 9,9,9,24,2T at the recommended 1.8v shown on the module but cant get to 7,7,7,20, I tried to goto 8,8,8,22,2T and failed, the best I can do and still have things working is 8,7,7,23,2T, this passes post testing without getting stuck at DET RAM and also seems to run XP and Vista with no problems, I played Prey for 1/2 an hour with no issues either.

Apart from memory which I have adjusted so that the hardware monitoring for voltage says 1.8v I have not changed any voltages.

I brought my striker II extreme when they first hit the shelves and before I knew about manufacturer recommended memory etc.

What information from bios would you need to help me get this to 7.7.7.20 oh btw it should be noted that my ram modules are listed as corsair rev v3.1 and 4.1.

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi, Please don't get me wrong I am merely asking because I do not know.

I know my modules will work at 1333 7 7 7 20 T2 but I have managed to get them running at 1600 8 7 7 23 T2. - will 1333 setting be faster ?, I am aware that its not always a case of higher numbers = higher speed.

Also is adjusting the settings to "DDR1066 or DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2" a step to getting to 1600 7 7 7 20 or am i missing some vital clue?

Sorry to be a pain but if you dont ask you dont learn.

PS In the Striker II bios would you happen to know what the values P1 and P2 represent under the memory speed configuration?

Cheers in advance.

• Corsair Employees
You are welcome to try anything you like but I would suggest testing the system with memtest.org to make sure its stable. But the performance will vary from system to system depending on how it is configured so I would test the system both ways and see which gives best over all performance.

• Corsair Employees

The suggested settings, but you can more than likely get best performance at DDR1333.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory tes
t

The suggested settings, but you can more than likely get best performance at DDR1333.

t

Hi Ram Guy,

Can you please respond to all parts of this message as I need to understand excactly whats happening.

Just to let you know I know my system will run stable @ 1333,7,7,7,20,2T @ all voltages = stock barring have to take the DDR V down a smidge I believe 1.76 as otherwise the voltage monitor reports getting upto 1.90v+, at this spec the system runs stable, i will do the mem test thing but I have not had a single crash lockup or memory error at that speed.

I need to understand this though from what I have been reading the memory controller cant handle all four sticks at 1600,7,7,7,20,2T as it exceeds the capabilities of the controller - which seems a little negligent of my mainboard manufacturer not to point this out in thier manual which states that you can have for sticks and also use fancy memory to o/c to 2000.., I also note that when you read the motherboard page it does not state the conditions for running this memory or to look at a QVL. I think this is wrong.

For my part I will talk to my supplier but don't expect much out of them as they are probably as in the dark as everyone else but at least I can let them know that they should only sell two sticks or a quad package to achieve the memory results people want without damaging thier boards.

One thing I am confused about though... if the memory is chewing all the bandwidth at 1600 then surely "real" 1600 memory would also chew all the bandwidth and have the same issue - so does that mean that people running actual 1600 memory with all slots full are going to damage thier bridges?

Cheers in advance.

• Corsair Employees
Just to let you know I know my system will run stable @ 1333,7,7,7,20,2T @ all voltages = stock barring have to take the DDR V down a smidge I believe 1.76 as otherwise the voltage monitor reports getting upto 1.90v+, at this spec the system runs stable, i will do the mem test thing but I have not had a single crash lockup or memory error at that speed.

A: Then that is where I would run them!

I need to understand this though from what I have been reading the memory controller cant handle all four sticks at 1600,7,7,7,20,2T as it exceeds the capabilities of the controller - which seems a little negligent of my mainboard manufacturer not to point this out in thier manual which states that you can have for sticks and also use fancy memory to o/c to 2000.., I also note that when you read the motherboard page it does not state the conditions for running this memory or to look at a QVL. I think this is wrong.

A: It is not uncommon to have to lower the memory frequency or relax the timings when the system is fully loaded, it is just a limitation and nothing new as it has been that way with un-buffered memory ever since.

For my part I will talk to my supplier but don't expect much out of them as they are probably as in the dark as everyone else but at least I can let them know that they should only sell two sticks or a quad package to achieve the memory results people want without damaging thier boards.

A: I am sorry but it is up to you when you take on the role of system builder to fully understand the limitations of what you are working on not the reseller. And as I have said that is common there is no secret just maybe you were not aware of this for what ever reason. In addition, When mixing memory that has not been tested together it is suggested to run them at the next slower speed grade as we only test the modules how they are sold and packaged IE Twin2xXXXX-6300C4DHX modules are tested in one set as described in Dominator Qualifications and Testing!

*Important Note* Unless stated otherwise, all testing is done with only one module at a time.

One thing I am confused about though... if the memory is chewing all the bandwidth at 1600 then surely "real" 1600 memory would also chew all the bandwidth and have the same issue - so does that mean that people running actual 1600 memory with all slots full are going to damage thier bridges?

A: I am sorry as I am not clear on what your point is here, but the memory FSB cannot be more then the CPU FSB with an Intel chipset and as long as you do not over volt our modules (DDR1 Max VDim 2.9 Volts, DD2 Max VDim 2.1 Volts, DDR3 Max VDimm 2.0 Volts) then it will not damage the memory and as long as you do not go over the Voltage specified for the MB you should not hurt the MB.

A: I am sorry as I am not clear on what your point is here, but the memory FSB cannot be more then the CPU FSB with an Intel chipset and as long as you do not over volt our modules (DDR1 Max VDim 2.9 Volts, DD2 Max VDim 2.1 Volts, DDR3 Max VDimm 2.0 Volts) then it will not damage the memory and as long as you do not go over the Voltage specified for the MB you should not hurt the MB.

I think you just answered my question for me but just to qualify my question I was asking if running all four slots with memory is what damages the controller by outstripping its capabilities using four modules or if it was the fact that running 4 modules in excess of 1333 I.E 1600 is what would damage the bridge or if it was some sort of voltage limit within the bridge that was the problem.

I.E What causes the damage to the bridge when running four modules such as two TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX together?

Cheers in advance and thanks for your patience ( Still learning )

I think you just answered my question for me but just to qualify my question I was asking if running all four slots with memory is what damages the controller by outstripping its capabilities using four modules or if it was the fact that running 4 modules in excess of 1333 I.E 1600 is what would damage the bridge or if it was some sort of voltage limit within the bridge that was the problem.

I.E What causes the damage to the bridge when running four modules such as two TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX together?

Cheers in advance and thanks for your patience ( Still learning )

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that issues can arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that issues can arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

Thanks that is what I was after..

I am now looking into two 2g corsair and flogging the 4 1's.

Archived