Corsair Community

Mixing brands between channels?

TheCrunge

P4P800 Deluxe P4 3.2GHz Maxtor 120GB HD ATI (aiw) 9800 Pro 128MB Just built this system, been using a Corsair 512MB DDR PC-3200c2 stick (why I didn't buy 2, is beyond me). Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of buying another stick of the same, but I grabbed 2 @ Micron 512MB PC-3200 (cas3) out of my Dual 2GHz G5 PowerMac to check a few things things. I put the 2 Micron's in the P4P800 and Aida gives me great read/write benchmarks, then I toss the Corsair (a better module than the Micron's, I beleive) into the B2 slot (while leaving the other 2 in A1 and B1) and Aida gives me [i]signifigantly[/i] reduced readings. My question is, if I buy another Corsair like the one I have (same part and revision), and I put those in A1 and A2 and put the two Microns in B1 and B2, can I expect those low readings to go away since the B channel will now be running in dual channel? By the way, the Corsair running in slot A1 by itself gives pretty high readings in Aida. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
More than likely when you install the Cass three modules and our Cass 2 module the memory frequency dropped to DDR333, as this would be what both modules would run at by SPD. Micron Cass 3 @ DDR400 and Cass 2.5 at DDR333 or XMS3200C2 would probably be Cass 2.5 @ DDR400 and Cass 2.0 @ DDR333. The bios will go or set the speed backwards but not over clock a module by default! I would suggest that you use the XMS3200C2 module you have now in another system and just get a Twinx1024-3200LL for best performance. However, if that’s not an option for you I would try and match the part# and revision of the existing module that you have now or you may run into the same issue

Archived