Corsair Community

Strange HX620 Problem

pynnus

I bought a HX620 approximately 9 months ago, and it has had no problems until now. Recently, I bought a new graphics card (GTX260) to replace my old 8800GTs 320mb.

This worked fine at first, however it wasn't long before games would hang and stutter. Since the new card is a factory overclocked version, I suspected that the clocks were too high, so I underclocked it to default clocks. After this the hanging and stuttering no longer occured, so I rang my video card supplier in order to RMA the card. However, they told me to check the power supply first, so I did.

I used a spare 700W power supply to test the system with the overclocked GPU settings, and the hanging and stuttering problems were gone. So now I don't know which part is faulty, and was wondering whether anyone had any advice on if I should replace the card of the power supply.

As a side note, my power supply makes whining noises briefly on startup and whenever I'm running a 3d app with extremely high fps, but I doubt this is related to my previous problem.

• Corsair Employees

First off, I would recommend that you make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard, and then load setup defaults and reconfigure your BIOS. Any time you change your hardware configuration (even if its just the PSU), its a good idea to load the defaults.

If the PSU was working without any issues with the previous card, then I would suspect the issue is with the graphics card itself. My best guess would be that the card has a problem with voltage regulation at the higher clock speeds. Its hard to say for sure whether its the PSU or the video card unless you start swapping components, and we can try swapping out the PSU for you. However if you have the same issues with a replacement PSU, then I would definitely RMA the card.

If you would like to have the PSU replaced, then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived