Corsair Community

BSOD upon resume from S3

Quitch

I suspect this is a similar thread, but maybe not so I won't take it over

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72693

I have a GA-EP45-DS3L (using BIOS F9, the latest one) and 2x Twin2X8500C5. Upon resuming from sleep Vista will suffer a BSOD instantly or within a minute, depending on BIOS settings. Sometimes it will BSOD on startup as well, but after a couple of attempts it makes it to Windows.

It never freezes or crashes once I have done a cold boot into Windows, and both Windows Memory Diagnostic and Prime95 give the memory a pass on full auto settings (which use the EPP profile)

I checked the XMS Qualification and Testing thread to see if there were any specific settings I should change, but it lists a speed of 800Mhz, when this memory supports 1066Mhz, and a voltage of 2.2 when it's rated for 2.1 so I'm really not sure what to make of that thread.

I believe the issue is memory related, and because I am using four modules probably voltage related too. I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions as to what I should look to change.

I also have a thread going on at TweakTown which covers BIOS settings I have tried, and those available for me to change, in some detail. I can repost as much here as needed.

EDIT: I've attached my system information.

CPUZ_and_SystemInfo.zip

I see this has been moved to Warranty. But it's not a fault with the Corsair product, as Prime95 and Memory Diagnostics show, it's a BIOS settings issue, therefore I move that the hardware forum which deals with BIOS issues was a better home.

I believe the issue is memory related, and because I am using four modules probably voltage related too. I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions as to what I should look to change.
It's in the correct section for Corsair Support.

I have found several comments on these forums about upping the NB voltage by 0.05V if you have four DIMMs. Well, on a Gigbyte board I believe this is the MCH Voltage setting which defaults to 1.100. The smallest step up from here is 1.1600, so I set that and everything else was put on auto.

However, upon attempting to resume from sleep the fans would spin up and down and repeat this cycle ad-museum. I was finally forced to kill power to the PC.

If I set the MCH Core aboe 1.1 (which it looks like it defaults to), it will often have issues booting or resuming from sleep, and going into the BIOS under MIT it reports that there was a failure to boot owing to voltage/overclocking changes.

I don't want to disable sleep, I thought it would be the first thing I'd get rid of, but once you've lived with S3 sleep for a while you can't go back. It really does turn it into the TV "instant-on" experience.

Interestingly, I found that if I changed the MCH Core voltage to 1.050 then the PC resumes from sleep every single time. Unfortunately if I fire up a game which calls for intensive use of the graphics card, then I have flickering textures until reboot. Obviously defeating the point of sleep.

• Corsair Employees
Do you have the same issues if you test with just 2 modules installed? If so, then I would suggest testing with a single module and test it in each slot on the board to make sure that the DIMM slots do not have anything to do with the problem. Let us know your results!

• Corsair Employees
Would a DIMM slot issue cause problems with the RAM which would be picked up by a memory test?

Definitely. 007bont is correct. If you are failing in Memtest (http://www.memtest.org) then you may have a failing memory module, a failing DIMM slot, a faulty memory controller on the board, or even a problem with the CPU. The best way to isolate the issue is to test the modules individually and see if your results are consistent. Let us know if you can duplicate the issue with 2 modules installed in the system. And if so, then I would test a single module in each slot with http://www.memtest.org and see if you can isolate either a particular slot or memory module which may be giving you errors.

I've found that the flickering texture issue I noted earlier is a problem with AMD's drivers on resuming from sleep and disabling the Catalyst AI in the Catalyst Control Panel fixes it, so it looks like I may be set with perhaps a bit more playing with the MCH Core voltage to ensure it remains stable after a long sleep.

Many thanks all!

Archived