Corsair Community

P5Q Pro 8GB Memory Issues

mike4747

I know some similar threads have been posted here from people trying to get 8GB of memory to work on the Asus p5Q Pro motherboard. Has anyone had any success in getting them to work? I have 4 sticks (8GB total) of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX memory from my previous motherboard that I really need to use. I know it's not on the Asus QVL list, but I'm hoping to get it to work.

Right now I have 3 sticks in the motherboard. It works great in Windows (and passing Memtest over and over). All 4 sticks and all 4 slots have actually passed Memtest (3 sticks and 3 slots at a time), so I know all 4 of the memory and the motherboard slots are working 100%.

The problem arises at the same point it does for everyone else... when the 4th stick gets added, going to 8GB. Here's what I've tried:

--- I've tried underclocking the memory from 800MHz to 667MHz and as low as 533MHz

--- I've tried overclocking the q6600 to 3.0GHz (333MHz with the ram set as low as 667MHz)

--- I've set the timings to 5-5-5-18 with the memory set as low as 667MHz

--- I've raised the NB voltage as high as 1.46v

--- DRAM Static Read Control > Disabled

--- DRAM Read Training > Disabled

--- Mem. OC Charger > Enabled

--- DRAM Voltage > 2.10v

--- I've set the Row Refresh Cycle Time from 55 to 105

--- Ai Clock Twister has been set to Light and Lighter

--- Ai Transition was set to Manual with Common Performance Level set to 09 and even as high as 12

--- RAS# to RAS# Delay > 6

--- Write Recovery Time > 6

Of course, with 6GB of memory, it works flawlessly at 4-4-4-12 at 800MHz, a NB voltage of 1.36v and all of the other 'loosened settings' set to their normally tight settings. I guess I'm asking for a miracle here because I think I've pretty much confirmed that 8GB of this ram will not work in my board.

Thanks in advance for a miracle if anyone can help.

What BIOS version are you using?

1. Use one memory stick to default your BIOS then save and reboot.

2. Update the BIOS. Turn off main switch.

3. Remove CMOS battery for 5 minutes, insert it and turn on main switch.

4. Boot into BIOS and load setup defaults, save and reboot.

5. Change the following parameters:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings[indent]Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 9
FSB Frequency = 266
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 266

DRAM Timings Control = Manual
CAS# Latency = 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge = 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge = 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay = 6
Row Refresh Cycle Time = 55
Write Recovery Time = 6
Read to Precharge Time = Auto

DRAM Static Read  = Disabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
MEM. OC Charger = Auto
AI Clock Twister = Lightest
AI Transaction Booster = Manual
Common Performance Level = 9
Pull-In of CHA PH1 = Disabled
Pull-In of CHA PH2 = Disabled
Pull-In of CHA PH3 = Disabled
Pull-In of CHA PH4 = Disabled
Pull-In of CHB PH1 = Disabled
Pull-In of CHB PH2 = Disabled
Pull-In of CHB PH3 = Disabled
Pull-In of CHB PH4 = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = 1.38
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled

Save settings. Exit and power down your system. Then install the other sticks..

Thanks for the reply. I did forget to mention the bios version I'm using. I updated to 1406 early on in the process.

After clearing the cmos settings and loading defaults, I set everything according to your post with the exception of DRAM Frequency. I underclocked that to 667MHz to give myself a better shot at it working.

But, I'm afraid to say that it still does not post once I add the fourth stick... and again, the 'fourth stick' can be any of the sticks in any of the slots.

I just bought this motherboard and I suppose I can send it back if I could find a comparably priced and featured board my memory will definitely work in. That leads me down another road. When you read QVL and compatibility lists from motherboard manufacturers, why is it that they don't list verified good 8GB memory configurations when their boards are advertised as supporting up to 16GB of memory?

Thanks for the reply. I did forget to mention the bios version I'm using. I updated to 1406 early on in the process.

After clearing the cmos settings and loading defaults, I set everything according to your post with the exception of DRAM Frequency. I underclocked that to 667MHz to give myself a better shot at it working.

But, I'm afraid to say that it still does not post once I add the fourth stick... and again, the 'fourth stick' can be any of the sticks in any of the slots.

I just bought this motherboard and I suppose I can send it back if I could find a comparably priced and featured board my memory will definitely work in. That leads me down another road. When you read QVL and compatibility lists from motherboard manufacturers, why is it that they don't list verified good 8GB memory configurations when their boards are advertised as supporting up to 16GB of memory?

I would contact the motherboard manufacturer to see what their response is to that question. Keep in mind that any board you buy will have a maximum capacity state and a maximum speed. But not a maximum capacity at that maximum speed.

You need to be clear on this. It looks as though you have a deficient motherboard and RMA is the route, but the drop of DRAM speed is still advised no matter what board you do get.

Archived