Corsair Community

Overclocked mem frequency!!Wont start! Help!

Today, while happily playing around with CAS settings and the like in my BIOS, I rather foolishly set my memory frequency to 120%, thinking that if it all went awry at least I could reset it in the BIOS. To my horror however, my computer now fails to start up properly, saying "System failed memory test" and displaying nothing on the moniter..The processor etc are running, I can open the cd-rom etc, but nothing is on screen. I seem to recall doing this once before and taking it to Ideal Computing (where I purchased the pc) and the tech guy just did something simple and it rebooted..never-the-less I am terrified ive fryed something..Please can you help me! I know quite a lot about computers, but Im no genius (otherwise i wouldnt be here). My pc is an Athlon 2700 with an Asus motherboard (is that right?)..I dont know much else off hand, but i thought perhaps this is just a general problem. Please get back ASAP!!Its vital that i can fix this very soon. thank you anybody who can help.

With a 2700+ which runs on a 333FSB, you don't want to run the memory at anything but 100% (in sync) for stability reasons, as you've just found out. What you need to do is this (I can't be more specific since you havn't given me your exact motherboard model name): Look in your mainboard manual under the "Jumpers" section for a jumper called, "[b]CLRTC1[/b]" or a section that says, "Clear RTC RAM/CMOS." That jumper will reset your BIOS settings to the factory defaults. The other way to do it is to remove the little battery from your motherboard and let it sit for a good 10 minutes (making sure all capacitors are drained). You'll also have to unplug it from the wall (not just turn it off) for this to work 100% of the time as some boards have secondary power from the PSU for the CMOS. PLUR CK

Hey, thanks a lot Candyman. Even though I was pretty sure that i just had2reset the bios i was still a bit worried! one other thing, what mhz setting should my bios be set to when i reset it - i think its 166mhz but im not totally sure. again, since i havent fixed it yet and i cant remember my exact specs i cant actually tell you what im running which is probably useless, but just incase there's a general setting for Athlon 2700s running on a 8month old (but the best u could buy) Asus motherboard.If not I can try2dig out the exact specs for you, but thanks for your help anyway.

Archived