Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF and Striker II Formula

Filaskoras

Hello all,

i hope to find some help here before i go and kick this board and the rest of it out of my house, because its driving me crazy.

Seriously i bought a Asus Striker II and had one pair of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF equal to 4gb of ram running with 1066 mhz. i left everything on auto except the mem voltage.

now i bought a second pair of the same RAM and the fun starts i am not able to run the mem on 1066 only on 800 flashed the bios to latest version 1802 and now atleast "SLI-Ready Memory" setting is disabled and greyed out in Bios with statement like due to chipset limitation, SLI ready MEM supports max 2 Dimm module combination.

Well all fine cause i personal think its better to have 8gb ram then 4 gb in SLI mode especially cause i have 2 monitors and SLI is not active anyway but maybe i am wrong and someone can tell me thats its better the other way.

But back to track Bios settings are all factory with 4 dimms except the mem voltage 2.10 again. with these settings i can boot (mem at 800 MHZ) as soon as i change something in bios OS wil BSoD at different points. and i have absolutley no clue what's wrong any advices much appreciated.

thx guys

SLi Mode only works with two modules. SLi Mode has nothing to do with system performance or SLi Graphics Mode. It is simple that SLi enabled modules have profiles stored in the modules that inform the BIOS of the settings to extend the DRAM to. Since you know your settings which are 5-5-5-18 2T at 2.1v, you can manually set them anyway. But you have another issue. That issue is that you are not using a kit of DRAM. You are using two kits of DRAM. It is advised to drop the bandwidth of the DRAM and raise the motherboard's MCH/MCP (Memory Controller) to gain stability. The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel Core CPU) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

So, setting the DRAM to 800Mhz is the best route for stability with 4 X 1066MHz modules.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

hey derekt,

thx for bringing some light in the tunnel seems RAM stacking must be a own business by now what is compatible with what and so on.

i'm not able to turn on 1066 mhz anyway onboard as it is grayed out in auto mode. i can change the timing and the voltage (which i have done).

any other tricks to get more out of it while stying stable ?

and one more question will it be faster with 1 kit running at 4 gb ram but 1066 mhz or better to have 8 gb ram in 800mhz ?

thx in advance for your info

hey derekt,

thx for bringing some light in the tunnel seems RAM stacking must be a own business by now what is compatible with what and so on.

i'm not able to turn on 1066 mhz anyway onboard as it is grayed out in auto mode. i can change the timing and the voltage (which i have done).

any other tricks to get more out of it while stying stable ?

and one more question will it be faster with 1 kit running at 4 gb ram but 1066 mhz or better to have 8 gb ram in 800mhz ?

thx in advance for your info

Yes, you lose EPP when populating with more than two modules. It depends on what you do with your system. If you are a gamer, I would advise the two modules at 1066Mhz. Otherwise, the 800Mhz 8GB is quite usable with Photoshop. Maya, Virtualization, etc.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker

CPU Level Up = Auto
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
x Overclock Options = Disabled (Greyed Out)

FSB & Memory Config

CPU Level Up = Auto
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 1100
MEM (DDR), MHz = 900

Memory Timing Setting

tCL: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15
Command Per Clock = 2T

Over Voltage

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
CPU VTT Voltage = Auto 
Memory Voltage = 2.1v
NB Core Voltage = 1.55v
SB Core Voltage = Auto
1.2V HT Voltage = Auto
Bridge Core Voltage = Auto 

Run Memtest for two full passes.

Results?

• 2 weeks later...
Those settings are for 8 gig - could you list as you did above how to get my four gig kit to hit 1066?

When you populate all four DRAM slots it is advised to drop the bandwidth.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

Archived