Corsair Community

Gigabyte EP-35 and Corsair CM2X

runaway

Hi,

two day ago i bought an ne Mainboard, a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L.

I also took my "old" Ram 2XCMX1024-5400 C4 on it.

Just seconds bevor i started the system my dad came in and said, hey got some more Ram for you.

He presented my another Kit 2XCMX1024-5400 C4.

So i put it in.

Now every time the Pc crashes after the checksum test, sometimes earlier...or i get black screen(no signal).

The kits are the same, except the Version

first one is V 5.2("new" from my dad) second V7.1(my old)

If i put in only the V5.2 everything works fine. dual channel works too.

With V7.1 it only works if one module is installed, and then not every time i start up the pc.

All 4 Modules do not work except 2 times, but then the pc crashes in Windows.

Some ideas ?!

It is never supported, nor is it advised to mix and match DRAM versions.

As well, please research this thread regarding a four DRAM slot population of two Kits:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller. However, let's see if we can get your system stable.For a four DRAM module population:

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Download CPU-z from--->

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and slot 3. Restart, Enter your BIOS and Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before.

MIB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster = Auto
CPU Clock Ratio = 8
Fine CPU Clock Ratio = +0.0
CPU Host Clock Control = Enabled

Clock Chip Control

CPU Host Clock Control = Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) = 266Mhz
PCI Express Frequency = 100Mhz
C.I.A.2 = Disabled

DRAM Performance Control

Performance Enhance = Standard
System Memory Multiplier = 2
Hi Speed DRAM DLL Settings = Option 2
DRAM Timing Selectable = Manual
CAS Latency Time = 4
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
RAS# Precharge = 4
Precharge Delay (tRAS) = 12
ACT to ACT delay = Auto
Bank Write To READ Delay = Auto
Refresh to ACT Delay = 0
Read to Precharge Delay = Auto

System Voltage Control

DDR2 OverVoltage Control = +.2V
PCI-e OverVoltage Control = Normal
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control = +.03
CPU Voltage Control = Auto

Boot to the Memtest ISO. Allow for two full passes and if stable, enter Windows and post a screenshot of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Memtest86+ Version 2.01 is not from the same build as the one you speak to and this is the one that should be used. Are you saying that Memtest86+ Version 2.01 does not work on your system? If so, what happens? There must be something wrong with hardware in your system if this is the case.

Archived