Corsair Community

Corsair VX550W Power Supply

Conman

Hey everyone,

I'm having issues with my power supply. I'm working on building my first computer and I've got the VX550W powering it. Thing is, the computer won't work. I've checked the switch in the back and it's in the correct position, all chords that need to be plugged into the motherboard are in. My hard drive and DVD-ROM drive aren't able to use the SATA chords, but i'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

If anyone could explain why my system won't power up or have some tests for me to run, it would be very appreciated. One more thing, I don't quite understand all the technical names so I appologize if i don't understand what you say.

Thanks everyone!

Shaun

• Corsair Employees
Do you have the power button/jumper plugged into the motherbaord? How are you powering the system? Are you pressing the power button on the case or are you manually jumping the PWR pins on the board? Do any fans spin up at all?

I've been working alot with proprietary OEM systems, according to a fellow in another forum, that's why I wasn't aware. According to him, one would normally find 8 pin connectors. Well, I've always dealt with motherboards that have a P7 (four pin) connector. Without this plugged in the computer with this kind of proprietary motherboard won't bootup.

If this is your first build, you may not be aware.

Personally, I think it's a great oversight of this manufacturer not to include this kind of connector on their power supply.

• Corsair Employees
Personally, I think it's a great oversight of this manufacturer not to include this kind of connector on their power supply.

The VX550 has 2x P7 connectors, although we label them as "Floppy" connectors. The EVGA 780i board does not have any of these connectors on the board, so this should not be an issue.

Archived