Corsair Community

First time rig builder

brokenticker102

I've just built my first rig and I'm having a small problem with hangtime on the operating system during startup(around 10 minutes) when my personal settings are loaded by Windows XP Pro. Intel D875PBZ P4 3.2ghz 800mhz FSB, 512k 1GB of Corsair PC3200 400mhz(2x512) Part #VS1GBKIT400 What I haven't been able to figure out is weather this memory is EEC or non-EEC so I can set the bios accordingly. I'm also not sure if this is even what is causing the problem per say, but it is one step in the troubleshooting process. Any assistance, advice, and/or directions would be appreciated. Also, how do I test the memory for latency? Smoe of what I read is greek to me, but I'm doing it to learn. Thanx

[quote name='RAM GUY']These are non ECC. We have no modules that are un-buffered with ECC. And was this a fresh install of the O.S. on this MB or did you have the O.S. loaded on another MB?[/QUOTE] I took the HHD from my old Win98SE Dell. Blew out and repartisioned, 3xformatted, and erased the MBR so I would have a clean install. any suggestions?

[quote name='RAM GUY']I would suggest that you use a Win98 boot disk and delete the partitions and then restart the system and let WinXP create and format the HDD and do a fresh install.[/QUOTE] Did that yesterday. Told it to create a fat32 partition. I'm not sure if it is even a memory issue, but I'm trying to eliminate things as I go at this point, and the hanging is the only problem I've found so far. Every thing else "seems" to be ok.

• Corsair Employees
When you deleted the partition, did you restart the system so WinXP saw the HDD as an un-partitioned HDD? If you did then, I would make sure that you have the HDD on its own channel and not shared with another drive. In addition, many HDD's have 2 settings for master if you have a ATA HDD. Stand alone master and master with slave present!

Archived