Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Single sticks fine, matched pair not

rich_jtg

Hi folks,

Please could you offer me some advice on a (possibly RAM-related) issue I'm currently having with my newly built PC...

~~~ Background ~~~

I recently purchased a new CPU/Mobo/RAM/PSU to upgrade my PC.

After installing and loading Windows XP, I found that the PC would lock up randomly.

This was normally fairly shortly after bootup when any strain was put on the system such as loading of programs, major windows updates were started... the machine could be left alone and would then take a while before locking up.

~~~ Diagnostic steps taken ~~~

Ran memtest - it crashed after a few seconds

Ran memtest on just one stick - No errors

Ran memtest on other stick - No errors

Upgraded BIOS to latest version

Cleared the CMOS

Turned off legacy USB

Ran memtest again - it crashed after a few seconds

Ran memtest on the single sticks on the other main slot - no errors.

Manually changed the voltage and timings from auto settings in the BIOS to 2.1V and 4-4-4-12

Ran memtest - it crashed after a few seconds

Ran memtest on just one stick - No errors

Ran memtest on other stick - No errors

Cleared the CMOS again

Ran memtest again with memory placed in board's secondary slots using auto settings - results all the same.

The problem I now have, is that I don't have any compatible Mobo/CPU/memory to try and eliminate what is at fault.

Should I be looking at returning the RAM? :confused:

Thanks for your reply RAM GUY - much appreciated.

I feared you would say that - unfortunately I don't have access to a compatible mobo or CPU. :(

I think I'm just going to have to return all the hardware en masse to the retailer.

• 2 weeks later...
NP and please let us know how you make out!

Still not sorted. Sent the components back, they were tested, and the CPU was put at fault.

Parts were returned (+ one new CPU), I put it all back together... it was exactly the same as before I sent it! :(:

It's going back again next week, so will report back if/when a cause of the issue is found.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived