Corsair Community

Corsair Voyager 16GB GT : Speed Issues

toocooljonty

Well , i just purchased a new 16GB GT Voyager yesterday here in India.

At first the speeds were normal , around 33MB/s Read and 16-17MB/s Write.

After my first format , the Write speeds went down. Now the speeds are 32MB/s Read and 8-9MB/s Write.

I am on Windows Vista x64 SP1 . I formatted the drive as per what you have said in the other threads, to default FAT32 with the default Allocation Size (8192 bytes). I have disabled Ready Boost , I have changed the policy to Performance , and Disabled the Drive Indexing. Here are my HD Tach as well as HD Bench scores.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/6683/capturecopyqf3.jpg

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/capturecopyqf3.jpg/1/w804.png

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8903/hdbenchan5.jpg

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/hdbenchan5.jpg/1/w573.png

Now i am a Retailer of Enthusiast hardware here , and i have sold a couple of 16GB GT's over the past few days. I will request their benches as well to know whether it is a common occurance or is it a 1 out of 10/100 drives problem.

Now how should i proceed ? Should i RMA the Voyager ? before i do that , from what i have been reading all over the internet , is that the 16GB GT drives are in reality very slow performing and nowhere close to even the 14-16MB/s commitment that has been given on them. Will RMA be of any help ? I know these are MLC products as compared to SLC in others , but will the replacement give me any better speeds ?

Please do not treat this as a personal query. Because the answers i recieve here will be given to other people also who have purchased or are going to purchase the 16GB GT drive.

Cheers

• Corsair Employees

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager) then try the HDBENCH v3.40 Beta 6 to test the performance. And please do a full format of the drive before you run the test and set it to 100 MB file size.

The Transfer speeds should write at about 14-17 MBps and Read at about 30 MBps.

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager) then try the HDBENCH v3.40 Beta 6 to test the performance. And please do a full format of the drive before you run the test and set it to 100 MB file size.

The Transfer speeds should write at about 14-17 MBps and Read at about 30 MBps.

I am on Windows Vista x64 SP1 . I formatted the drive as per what you have said in the other threads, to default FAT32 with the default Allocation Size (8192 bytes). I have disabled Ready Boost , I have changed the policy to Performance , and Disabled the Drive Indexing. Here are my HD Tach as well as HD Bench scores.

I have already done that as i had already mentioned. As for the HDbench test , you can have a look at the first post for the results.

The read is absolutely fine , at about 32-33MBPS , while the write is around half of what it should be. I have started feeling that the Verbatim 16GB Swivel drives which are around 20% cheaper here and give constant 14MBPS writes and 31MBPS reads are much better. But i trust corsairs built and service. But i never expected such measly performance by the performance line from Corsair.

My main question , as i know what your next answer would have been , is whether RMAing it back to corsair will lead to any improvements ? How many 16GB GT drives out of lets say , 10 are giving the performance that they are supposed to ? Coz as far as i can read in the reviews and on the forums , nearly everyone is facing these same speeds. I am going to continue using the drive that is for sure as i love everything else about this drive , but the next time i recommend a Flash Voyager GT to any customer and/or friend of mine , i will think twice before doing so.

So in short , will it be useful for me to RMA this drive ? Because i dont want to take up the hassle as well as spend more money in getting the drive to Corsair and end up facing the same issue.

OK. What i meant was i had already formatted it as per your Command Prompt Format method and benched with the HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 i had downloaded from your link only.That's wat i have been doing since last night :roll: Even then, ill do it again side by side to prove it :P. I don not have XP as such right now , but i am really not sure how using Vista can give me such low speeds. A MPBS or 2 and i would not have cared. but 50% lower , is a bit too much. If it is the OS that is bottlenecking the Flash Drive , do guide me to any workarounds to that.

Btw here are the Snaps of the format ,and the benches.

I'll quote from my own post again so now you can guide me with solutions to those questions.:o:

The read is absolutely fine , at about 32-33MBPS , while the write is around half of what it should be. I have started feeling that the Verbatim 16GB Swivel drives which are around 20% cheaper here and give constant 14MBPS writes and 31MBPS reads are much better. But i trust corsairs built and service. But i never expected such measly performance by the performance line from Corsair.

My main question , as i know what your next answer would have been , is whether RMAing it back to corsair will lead to any improvements ? How many 16GB GT drives out of lets say , 10 are giving the performance that they are supposed to ? Coz as far as i can read in the reviews and on the forums , nearly everyone is facing these same speeds. I am going to continue using the drive that is for sure as i love everything else about this drive , but the next time i recommend a Flash Voyager GT to any customer and/or friend of mine , i will think twice before doing so.

So in short , will it be useful for me to RMA this drive ? Because i dont want to take up the hassle as well as spend more money in getting the drive to Corsair and end up facing the same issue.

Awaiting an early response.

Hi. I have one query. Where should the drive be returned ? Should it be returned to my local Corsair Centre (Run by i guess Kaizen Infoserve in India) or to Corsair US directly ? And what are the chances of the RMA'd Drive being as fast as what the claims are ? Just asking as i will be recommending others also what to do with their Voyager 16GB GT Drives.

• Corsair Employees

Then go through your distributor AKA Reseller.

Hi. I have one query. Where should the drive be returned ? Should it be returned to my local Corsair Centre (Run by i guess Kaizen Infoserve in India) or to Corsair US directly ? And what are the chances of the RMA'd Drive being as fast as what the claims are ? Just asking as i will be recommending others also what to do with their Voyager 16GB GT Drives.

NP and the performance write should be about 14-17 MBps and read should be about 24-30MBps

after formatting from the dos prompt i could get write speed abt 14-16MBps. but sometimes after i filled the files into my corsair GT 16GB, the write speed fluctuates, could be 14MBps or just 9MBps sometimes. i even run this testbench after terminating all the running processes behind. it shows that after the thumbdrive heats up a lil, the write speed decreases to 9Mbps.

so this 16MBps write speed only works in FAT32 format?

so after filling up the files into my corsair GT then i'll only get half of its write speed?

another question, somehow when i format it into NTFS, i can't get the 16MBps write speed. so the 16MBps write speed only applicable for FAT32 format after fresh format?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I did not get the drive replaced as i think the speeds will be the same as i will use the drive in NTFS format only (Obvious for a 16GB drive) . Now my other question is that i have 2 4GB drives , one has the cap broken and the others cap is lost. I had placed an order for the replacement caps around a month back , but still have not received them. Any help ?

PS : had already confirmed the replacement order using the link i had received in my mailbox.

Archived