Corsair Community

Problem with 520HX ?

DweeberlyLoom

I tried to submit this as a "Tech Support Express", but that part of the site is apparently broken at the moment (it would let me fill out things, but submitting generates a server error 500).

Anyway, I'm wondering if I have problems with my 520HX, here's the skinny.

I can't determine for sure that this is a power problem. At first I suspected it was a problem with the video card, but I just replaced the card with a similar (8800GT) card and the problem became worst (I think the new card/fan draws more current on startup). The machine ran great (~1yr) until about a week ago. I noticed that when there was greater demand from the video card the machine would crash, it quickly became so unstable that it was unusable, sometimes even hanging on the BIOS screen. After installing the new card, the machine starts, runs for maybe 1-2 seconds, then the power shuts off completely, after 1-2 seconds it restarts on it's own (going into a lather, rinse, repeat cycle). I have a multimeter (but haven't used it on the PSU yet). I don't have any way to test the PSU under load. I hate to keep buying parts hoping one will fix it (at least with the extra video card I can put both in an run SLI ... if I can get it running that is).

Can you offer guidance in helping me determine the problem component (I've removed the power from both of the DVDRW drives, but that made no different). At this point I figure it's either the PSU or the motherboard and it's seems PSU'y to me, but a few days ago I would have bet it was the video card <shrug>. Very irritating as this is my main machine.

Thank you

DL

• Corsair Employees

I would reset the BIOS via the CLRTC jumper on the board, and test each memory module individually in the slot closest to the CPU, and see if you can isolate a single memory module that may be causing problems. If both modules give you the same results then you should be able to rule out the memory.

If you have a multimeter, then you may want to test the rails to make sure that the PSU is within spec. Here is a guide that will help you test. Let us know your results!

I would reset the BIOS via the CLRTC jumper on the board, and test each memory module individually in the slot closest to the CPU, and see if you can isolate a single memory module that may be causing problems. If both modules give you the same results then you should be able to rule out the memory.

If you have a multimeter, then you may want to test the rails to make sure that the PSU is within spec. Here is a guide that will help you test. Let us know your results!

Well butter my buns and call me toast. You hit the nail on the head, it was bad memory. I removed the existing memory and replaced it with new modules. Worked right away. Thanks a bunch.

• Corsair Employees
Well butter my buns and call me toast. You hit the nail on the head, it was bad memory. I removed the existing memory and replaced it with new modules. Worked right away. Thanks a bunch.

No problem at all, glad to hear you were able to isolate the issue!

Archived