Corsair Community

Is this ram genuine or not?

Bad_Ram

I think i might have purchased dodgey ram. I got lazy and purchased from E-bay from a seller with good reputation and claiming that this Corsair product had a lifetime warranty. I was not aware that only approved people could sell; corsair products until i viewed the warranty page here?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280277912442

The ram came in correct packaging but on further inspection i notice the barcode reads TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G but it should be 2048 not 4096 which leads me to belive that this may be fake. I have run Memtest and after the about the 5th pass i get a page full of errors. I've attached a picture sorry for the low detail i took it with my Phone.

i have attached cpu-z screeners as well and im not an expert but the timing and what not look correct. How can i tell if this is legit ram and its just gone bad?

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4464&stc=1&d=1225834668

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4465&stc=1&d=1225834716

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4466&stc=1&d=1225834716

Memory1.jpg.693c677c13db0e4543076fe56440f776.jpg

memory2.jpg.7a7b2b631734eb671dbbe60a966c12a6.jpg

05-11-08_063320.jpg.48d0b6fdd6201b305751212c2471eefc.jpg

• Corsair Employees
Everything in CPUZ looks normal for a kit of TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (CM2X2048-6400C5 is the part number for each individual module). I would suggest that you load setup defaults in the BIOS and then test the modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU. Let us know your results!

Everything in CPUZ looks normal for a kit of TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (CM2X2048-6400C5 is the part number for each individual module). I would suggest that you load setup defaults in the BIOS and then test the modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU. Let us know your results!

Np.. I just talked to the seller and he assures me that this is genuine ram and said the same thing as you in regards to the part number and has said he will excahnge the ram if needed.

It could very well be my system (vista) playing up. my MB says 1.8v for the ram in its specs. Should it be upped to 1.9v for this memory or can it be left default? also i think i might have USB leagcy or usb something enabled for my keybaord so i can access bios and boot screen via USB Keyboard. I just finished reading that USB can cause errors in memtest?? All i know for sure is my system didnt start BSOD until roundabout the time i put new mem in.

if you could please answer the voltage question i will go and reset the board and re-test and if i need to hook up a non usb keyboard??

Matt

Okay, 8 hours later for testing both sticks on there own turned up no errors at all. :sigh!: They got through 5 and a half passes each with just the bios re-set to defaults?

I was going to up the voltage on the ram but was not really to sure what settings to change once i looked at all the settings? if i overclock my processor Vista will moan that im a thief and im stealing vista. If i understand right my Processor has a locked multiplier thingy so i have to raise a whole bunch of stuff to get the voltage raised, FSB and Vcore??

I don't overclock my board that often so i don't really know what all the settings are for and i don't want to just throw volts at things incase i cause damage so if you (Ramguy) or anyone could give me some easy instructions to follow it would be appreciated. :)

Now back to the ram not giving errors. I'm going to test both sticks now together and hopefully the errors were generated by the legacy bios that was active before i re-set? otherwise im thinking it might be the voltage if they are only spitting out errors when i test them together??

• Corsair Employees

Unfortunately I can not help you overclock your system, but let us know your results when testing the modules together.

For overclocking advice I would suggest checking out some of the following sites:

http://www.hardforum.com/

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

http://www.ocforums.com/

There are many others, but these should get you started.

Didnt help! I got errors after first pass with both modules installed, all tests that fail, failed on the random bit test. It seems a bit odd to me that it happens only when two are installed right? is this ram not getting enough juice?? or is it my mem slot??? or is it the memory????

This is starting to drive me crazy. :confused:

Unfortunately I can not help you overclock your system, but let us know your results when testing the modules together.

For overclocking advice I would suggest checking out some of the following sites:

http://www.hardforum.com/

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

http://www.ocforums.com/

There are many others, but these should get you started.

DSC00095.thumb.JPG.0fbda0732d0899c450c711a56dd0e0d0.JPG

DSC00099.thumb.JPG.00cb03b90c3942833b597f973c2628d6.JPG

Everything is auto there is no overclocking settings or performance tweaks its all stock. The only thing i changed was the disable of the gigabyte white logoscreen at boot so it shows post messages. The timings are running 5-5-5-18 (see attachment picture) but they are only running 1.8v according to the SPD tab on cpu-z? (see picture first post). It says on the ram its self 1.8v but in the specs on the corsair main site its 1.9v?? and thats really all ive got left to try right?

• Corsair Employees
If the modules are passing memtest individually then there may be a problem with the DIMM slot or possibly the memory controller. What happens if you test the modules together in a single channel configuration? Normally you can enable single channel by installing the modules in different color DIMM slots. If nothing changes, then I would test a single module in each slot to rule out a failing DIMM slot on the board. Your settings sound fine, bumping up the memory voltage to 1.9v should not be necessary, but it might be worth a try.

If the modules are passing memtest individually then there may be a problem with the DIMM slot or possibly the memory controller. What happens if you test the modules together in a single channel configuration? Normally you can enable single channel by installing the modules in different color DIMM slots. If nothing changes, then I would test a single module in each slot to rule out a failing DIMM slot on the board. Your settings sound fine, bumping up the memory voltage to 1.9v should not be necessary, but it might be worth a try.

Hi RG you will have to excuse my language here but what the F@#$K is going on with my system??? I upped the memory voltage and attempted to swap the ram so it would run in single channel but it won't for some reason. I have 2 sets of 2 colors, blue and yellow on my dimms. According to the manual the way to get dual channel is to place both the modules in the same color slot. When i put the ram in two different colors it still boots in dual mode? HUH! :bigeyes: is this normal?

On a side note after i changed the ram to two different colours it did 17 hours worth of memtest without an error. So just to double check i put the ram back in the old config that i got the orignal errors from and that too did 10 passes and 10 odd hours without an error.

Your thoughts ram guy?

• Corsair Employees
Memory failures will not be intermittent, if you have a bad module, it will fail every time, no matter what configuration. I would suspect that the issue lies somewhere else, and if the issues is with hardware, then I would suspect the motherboard. Where are you checking if the system is in dual or single channel mode?

• Corsair Employees
I would double check with CPU-z. Click on the memory tab and see what it says in the "Channels #" field. I can't imagine a way that the board would be in dual channel in every configuration you have tried. Also, which BIOS version are you using for your board?

Just rebooted and switched back to single and it works in both single color configs. :eek: As for the bios im using F6. Maybe i didnt have it in single channel like thought (pretty bloody sure i did though)

Im getting errors in Orthos with the blend test cpu/ram 'Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4' . Np's with the cpu tests thou im not ruling that out ethier and i just tested 'large in place FTS stress some ram' with orthos and i got this.

Test 5, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M18874369 using 1024K FFT length.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.494140625, expected less than 0.4

also with memtest is there any way to make the errors come quicker rather than running every single test? I read some users just run test 5. Also are there any other decent tools that will indvidually test cpu, ram for errors. I have to know what is causing these errors because something isn't right and something is going to get fixed if its the last thing i do.

What now RG? :D:

Just tested my old ram DDR2 2x1gb with the same tests and setup with no errors. Re-tested corsair and errors on every test? Old ram is same timing, 5-5-5-18, 1.8v, 800mhz. If this corsair ram doesnt require anything special volt wise and will run at 1.8v on stock then logic would say ram to me? Well.. im hoping its the ram because i dont want to have to pull my Mobo or rma my CPU. Im sending it back to the guy i brought it from on Monday for an exchange.

Yup, i tryed with defaults and without. same for voltage, 1.8v and 1.9v i even attempted resetting the cmos by removing the battery.

I sent the ram back to the guy i purchased it from on Monday so i have all my fingers and toes crossed that its the memory and not some thing else. I asked him if he could test it on his PC with Orthos so i can know for sure. So ill just have to wait and see how it goes. Ill keep you posted.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, if you have other memory running in the board with no problems, then I think replacing the memory would be your best bet. Let us know if you have any problems with the replacement.

Hi ramguy,

I got the ram back and its all running good. *touch wood. I even managed to get a half decent clock out of the pc. I've got the ram running at 5-5-5-15, 1:1, 400 and CPU is running stable at 3.2ghz, 8x400 i had it up to 4ghz but it was getting a bit hot even with my Zalman 9700 cranked right up so i decided not to push it, until i get my water cooling installed.

The new ram is running stock voltage at about 1.87v according to HWMonitor, ive been running for the last two days at this voltage with no hiccups. Are these timings going to be okay? i didn't want to monkey with the multiplier on these but someone on the forums you directed me to said they could probably run at 900mhz safely. I should of probably spent a bit more and got some Corsair with tighter timings to begin with.... Hindsight... it's a wonderful thing. :)

• Corsair Employees
Your current settings look fine. Overclocking would need to be tested on your own and I would expect that you would have some headroom to overclock. I couldn't tell you exactly how far these modules will go, every pair will be a little different. If you do attempt changing the settings, just make sure that you test the configuration with http://www.memtest.org to make sure you do not get any errors.

Archived