Corsair Community

2 pairs of TW3X4G1800C8DF auf Striker II Extreme

Hi everybody!

I have the folowing problem:

I got 2 kits of TW3X4G1800C8DF running on Asus Striker II Extreme, so my resulting configuration is 8 GB RAM on 4 Banks.

I thought my board is quiete a good one and would be able to stand these speeds, but the only possible speed that was stable has been 1333 MHz.

So please give me some advice how to set voltage, timings, FSB and other settings to run the modules at their desired speed!

It would be very nice, if also some corsair technicans could take care of my problem, because I allready tried a lot and i'm not a beginner in such things! Perhaps you had to handle this problems before...

(I tried several configurations such as raising the voltages, setting timings manual and so on ...)

Thanks a lot!!

------------------------------

Hallo zusammen!

Das Problem ist recht einfach zu schildern: (die Lösung wahrschinlich nicht)

Ich habe 2 Kits der oben beschriebenen RAMs. Also 8GB Vollbestückung.

Weil ich das Board für das beste auf dem Markt gerade bzgl. Overclocking halte, dachte ich, die RAMs auf 1800 MHz trotz Vollbestückung (oder zumindest 1600 MHz) laufen zu lassen, wäre kein Problem.

Jedoch laufen Sie nur auf popligen 1333 MHz stabil.

Meine Frage ist nun welche Timings, welcher FSB, wieviel Volt usw. sind nötig, den Speicher entsprechend zu pushen. Sollten Investitionen zur Kühlung oder sonstigem nötig sein so spielt dies keine Rolle.

Ich kenne mich eigentlich im Bereich Overclocking gut aus nur hier kann mir denke ich nur einer aus der technikabteilung Corsairs helfen, oder jemand, der sich noch besser auskennt und das Problem selber schonmal hatte...

MfG & schonmal "Danke" an die Corsair Techniker!

Two issues are here.

Issue #1

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth, which is what RAM GUY is advising. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

I personally advise for a two stick solution as it is far gentler to the motherboard memory controller.

Issue #2

For your Four DRAM Slot Population:

To attain the higher DRAM speed of 1600Mhz, you must overclock the CPU to attain the correct FSB : DRAM Ratio. The FSB must be raised to 400Mhz (Quad Pumped = 400 X 4 = 1600Mhz) to relate stably with the DRAM running at 1600Mhz.

You are advised to raise the Northbridge (MCH/MCP) voltage when you populate with four slots of DRAM as you are placing a greater load on the Northbridge.

Would you like my advised BIOS settings? There's not much use giving them if you don't accept the above limitations though.

Thank you for your quick answer!

Yes I surely accept everything that brings me above the sucking standart 1333 MHz. So please send me your suggested settings! :):

I allready testest my CPUs overclocking pontential. It ends up with 4,15 GHz.

So please integrate this limit into your advice!

Cooling is okay so don't worry!

Thanks!

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Download Everest Trial Version from here -->

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 9.5
FSB Frequency = 436
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
DRAM Frequency = Manual
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto

DRAM Timing Control = Manual
DRAM Frequency = DDR2-1600
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  8
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 8
RAS# PRE Time = 8
RAS# ACT Time = 24
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 55 
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled 
DRAM Read Training = Auto
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.9v
NB Voltage = 1.40v
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
Load Line Calibration = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Northbridge Chipset Config

Memory Remap - Enabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Install Everest and right click on the (i) icon in the system tray. Choose Tools --> Cache and Memory Benchmark. Run the Benchmark and post the finished screenshot.

Uh! I just see ... YOU are speaking of striker extreme with ddr2. I have striker II Extreme DDR3. What now? :confused:

No, I am speaking of Striker II Extreme DDR3. :p: Basically, you just need to keep the DRAM at ~1600Mhz when you populate all four DRAM slots with the 1800Mhz DRAM. I think you are more than advanced enough (It seems at any rate) to find your sweet spot. It's just that your sweet spot will be quite a bit lower with a four DRAM slot population than it will with a two DRAM slot population.

I refuse to run with four DRAM slots on my gaming systems. I only use such a population on my workstation (virtualization pc).

Have you memtested? Two full passes and then Linpack?

To be certain of both CPU and Memory, use the Intel Linpack CPU/Memory test.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Do you actually need that much CPU Voltage? :bigeyes:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/full.jpg

Okay i will do so, and post the screens later ...

You're mentioning the sweet spot. It is really important for me to run with 8 GB because i'm a designer and need to move big graphics to clippboard and back. The deaktivation of the page file is also a really boosting measure...

But is there a big loose of performance in gaming when using 4 banks?

But is there a big loose of performance in gaming when using 4 banks?

Not a big loss. If you can find a high FSB, then you will not have a great loss really. Probably ~5 percent reality based bandwidth. Benchmarks will show more loss but a lot of that is theoretical loss. I just maximize for my gaming machine. If I had only one machine to do both jobs, I would go for my 8GB machine then. :D:

I don't know why you are using such an extremely high Vcore. That leads me to wonder what other voltages you are driving through your system. I doubt if I can help someone who DRIVES voltages through their system like you seem to do. You do know you can just as easily create instability with too high voltages as you can with too low voltages?

I gave you settings that brought the system to defaults. You then posted a CPU-z of over 1.5V!!! For a 45nm ??? I can't help you. I will not post here again.

My advice. Drop the overclock completely and find stability. Then move up. I think you need to go to an overclockers site where they can help you.

http://www.ocforums.com

Archived