Corsair Community

Core i7 Build & Introduction discussion thread

Digg Link: http://digg.com/hardware/Corsair_Labs_Intel_Core_i7_Build_Architecture_Changes

1. TR3X6G1866C9D ES is in the pic. What's the ES stand for, Engineering Sample? Also, DHX+ -? Explain :)

2. At the top of each page, it says Discuss this Article in the Ram Guy Forum. It kind of acts like a link, but doesn't do anything.

3. When can I get my hands on that memory?

4. Appx. how much would a rig like that cost?

• Corsair Employees
Digg Link: http://digg.com/hardware/Corsair_Labs_Intel_Core_i7_Build_Architecture_Changes

1. TR3X6G1866C9D ES is in the pic. What's the ES stand for, Engineering Sample? Also, DHX+ -? Explain :)

2. At the top of each page, it says Discuss this Article in the Ram Guy Forum. It kind of acts like a link, but doesn't do anything.

3. When can I get my hands on that memory?

4. Appx. how much would a rig like that cost?

1 - Yep, engineering sample. DHX+ is a new generation of DHX which you'll be seeing a lot more of in the future.

2. Should work now.

3. Soon - very soon.

4. Not sure on the prices on the processor and motherboard but the other components would be around $1000, so add the motherboard and processor to that cost.

Ordered today processor Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Socket 1366 Box and MoBo P6T Deluxe.

Ram modules will wait and use my 1800MHz corsair downgraded at 1600MhZ but i would like to buy TR3X6G1866C9DF.

I'd like to know what kind of settings should i do in the Bios to run at that crazy speed!!

QPI freq / BCLK frequency

Thx for any reply.

Ordered today processor Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Socket 1366 Box and MoBo P6T Deluxe.

Ram modules will wait and use my 1800MHz corsair downgraded at 1600MhZ but i would like to buy TR3X6G1866C9DF.

I'd like to know what kind of settings should i do in the Bios to run at that crazy speed!!

QPI freq / BCLK frequency

Thx for any reply.

Where'd you order them from? Also, check out this video from Hard|OCP for some OC info.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzYwMTAsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

Apps Lab,

I'm thinking about putting an X58 system together. I'm just wondering will Corsair release a set of DDR3-1600 Intel XMP SPD Certified Profile ?

I think I would wait for this. What do you think about this ?

Not worried about OC, I don't want to exceed mobo limits/warranty.

I just want a great system to online game with...

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered a Core i7 940 and Corsair 1333 MHz 6GB Tri kit. I am shopping boards and focused on the ASUS P6T Deluxe. I was surprised to learn that with locked processors (Core i7 920 & 940) the only available DRAM frequencies are 800 & 1066 MHz. Higher frequencies are only available for the 965 Extreme. That means if you chose 1066 MHz you would have to increase the BCLK frequency 25% to run memory at 1333 MHz. Does anybody know if this is true for all X58 motherboards???:confused:

I just ordered a Core i7 940 and Corsair 1333 MHz 6GB Tri kit. I am shopping boards and focused on the ASUS P6T Deluxe. I was surprised to learn that with locked processors (Core i7 920 & 940) the only available DRAM frequencies are 800 & 1066 MHz. Higher frequencies are only available for the 965 Extreme. That means if you chose 1066 MHz you would have to increase the BCLK frequency 25% to run memory at 1333 MHz. Does anybody know if this is true for all X58 motherboards???:confused:

I think I just answered my own question. Here is a direct quote from The Tech Report on Core i7 memory: "We've split testing between a Core i7-920 and 965 Extreme due to the former's lack of official support for memory faster than 1066MHz. Core i7-920 and 940 processors have a maximum memory speed of 1066MHz that motherboard makers haven't yet found a way to circumvent, but the 965 Extreme is free to use multipliers that run its memory bus at 1333, 1600, 1866, and even 2133MHz."

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15967 ;):

• 2 months later...

Ok Im no expert and I'm also considering a i7 build. It will be my first build ever of any type. I'm confident in my ability to put the hardware together, not so much in my ability to SELECT the right components in the firstplace. So forgive me if I'm repeating the obvious, I just want to make sure I understand. The Core i7 920 and 940's are locked at 1066 MHz; does that mean that (if you dont overclock, which I will not, at least on my first build lol) the FASTEST memory it can use is the PC8500 DDR3 tri channel ram? I believe that runs at 1066 Mhz? Again assuming no OC, anything faster than that would be superfulous correct?

If I'm incorrect please explain why, I'm really wanting to understand this.. thank you!

Archived