Corsair Community

Please help Newbie in Need!

r123

Please help me! I'm trying to install 2x 512mb DDR SDRAM + original 256mb. System Information reads 1.3gb "Availible System Memory" correctly but "Physical Memory" is at 256/512 depending on whether I put them all/2x512 in. Not sure what to do - any help would be gratefully recieved. Running XP and Jetway 866AS-R motherboard.

from what i know, dual chan ram wont play well with a 3rd stick in there. so your pretty much stuck with 512 choice, or the 256 choice.. i know what id choose.. it MIGHT be possible to find out the timings of the 256 stick and match it with the dual 512, but i REALLY doubt you could do this, especially on a jetway mobo.. their support is not the highest.. good luck thou..

I've tried putting 2x512 in. It ram-counts correctly- but in Windows ist's still reading 512 "total physical" however "total availible" is correct. Is this a nightmare situation???

Have you tried using different DIMM slots? (Does anything wierd happen if you only use the second or third DDR slot? What if you leave a different one empty?) Have you updated to the latest BIOS release for your motherboard? What memory, specifically, do you currently have and what memory are you trying to add into the system? Also, that motherboard doesn't appear to support Dual-Channel architecture at all, so although adding more modules can slow down latency, you won't even need to worry about that. PLUR CK

I've just tried 512 in both DDR2 + DDR3 - same effect. I'm not sure how to update the Bios (Award) - I looked at the website and it sounds really complicated (newbie). Should updating the bios help? The manual of the motherboard saus it's "184 Dual-Inline Modules DIMM PC1600/2100 DDR SDRAM" if this helps. Thanks J

• Corsair Employees
What O.S. are you using and I would suggest that you update the bios. In addition, what does the bios see the size of the memory as, and how many modules do you have and what is the exact part# of all of the modules?

Im running MS Windows XP Home (98>ME> XP Upgrade). I went for Corsair 2x VS512MB266 because I really only use the PC for oofice work and literally a couple of games. I think it's running the same BIOS as when I bought it in Autumn 2001.

Archived