Corsair Community

New RAM with Crysis

NazcaC2

I recently bought TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF. In the BIOS, I set the FSB to 1066 MHz and 5-5-5-15-2T with no BSOD's or following errors. When playing Crysis at 1066 MHz FSB, it crashes shortly after playing for a bit and displays some artifacts upon crashing. When I keep it at the stock 800 MHz it runs fine without the crashes.

Any thoughts?

I recently bought TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF. In the BIOS, I set the FSB to 1066 MHz and 5-5-5-15-2T with no BSOD's or following errors. When playing Crysis at 1066 MHz FSB, it crashes shortly after playing for a bit and displays some artifacts upon crashing. When I keep it at the stock 800 MHz it runs fine without the crashes.

Any thoughts?

Have you also set the voltage to 2.1v?

LOL, no, I didn't. I tried looking for it and couldn't find where to set the voltage and thought it might do it automatically. Where would this variable be?

And, thanks for moving my specs to my profile. :)

EDIT: With this screen? http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIyMTM1NDkyMzlHNVFVcW9TRFZfMl8xOF9sLmdpZg==

I edited the voltage for the memory to 2.1V.

After playing Crysis for some time, it crashed and displayed a memory error -

http://avalanchemedia.ca/other/scr2.jpg

Could it also be that since I have the memory limitation of the 32-bit OS that the game is trying to reference memory into an unavailable allocation? It doesn't seem like it, since 800 MHz works fine.

What the issue very likely is can be seen by running a system with the DRAM voltage too low for the timings and speed. You ran your system with 8500C5 and the stock voltage which is 1.8v. This will result in corrupted system files and you very likely now have a corrupted OS. I would advise a fresh system install. Not a repair, but a fresh install in this case. You are running with 2 X 2048, correct?

I just finished running Memtest86+ 2.01 and I waited till after the 2nd pass before I quit. It showed over 3000 errors with both modules seated in the slots.

Yes, see system specs.

How would the OS be corrupted though when I revert back to the original stock settings (800MHz and 1.8V) and it doesn't crash?

The crashes and memory errors can corrupt the software even though at a lower speed the crashes do not occur. This can be due to software and hardware ECC checking completing on 800Mhz and not on 1066Mhz. I advise the install regardless. You don't have to do what I advise though. :): I advise you install the system with 800Mhz, create a system image and then move to setting the advanced DRAM settings. I also never advise an entry into Windows when Memtest is reporting errors.

Enter your BIOS. Load setup defaults. Save setup defaults. Enter these values:

[b]Advanced BIOS Features[/b]

[b]System Clocks[/b]

CPU Freq. MHz = 2.66Ghz
CPU Muliplier = 10
PCIe x16, MHz = 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, MHz = 200

nForce SPP --> nForce MCP = 5x
nForce SPP <-- nForce MCP = 5x

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled 
HT Spread Spectrum: Disabled 
PCIE Spread Spectrum (MCP): Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

[b]FSB & Memory Config[/b]

SLI-Ready Memory = Disable
FSB -  Memory Clock Mode = unLinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 1066Mhz
MEM (DDR), MHz = 1066Mhz

[b]Memory Timing Section[/b]

Memory Timing Section = Expert
tCL = 5
tRCD =  5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
Command Per Clock = 2T

[b]Advanced Memory Settings[/b]

tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tREF = Auto

[b]CPU Configuration[/b]

Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Intel Speedstep = Disabled
CPU Thermal Control = Enabled
C1E Enhanced Halt State = Disabled
Execute Disabled Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled

[b]System Voltages[/b]

CPU Core = Auto
Memory Voltage = 2.1v
CPU FSB = Auto 	
nForce MCP = 1.55	
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP = Auto

At any rate, please test the modules singly. Insert one in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and retest. Shut the system down and remove the first stick. Insert the second stick and retest. Finally, insert a single stick in slot 3 and retest.

Results?

Just to clarify, in the first instance when I installed the RAM, the Voltage variable was set to Auto. When I found it after, I set it to 2.100 V. Wouldn't setting it to Auto be safer than an absolute voltage (ie. 1.8 @ 1066 MHz)?

And, my mistake, these problems happen during any game when set to the higher speed.

I'm not at home now, but on Friday I'll try Memtest with each module by themself. How many passes should I allow before I quit and try the next module?

Thanks.

RAM GUY, I know that, thanks. I was stating that I didn't have it set to 1.8V and 1066 MHz, I had it on Auto and 1066 MHz which (correct me if I'm wrong), should not damage the OS unless it was set to an absolute value of 1.8V. After, I found the voltage settings, I then changed it to 2.1V manually; setting it to Auto should have adjusted itself accordingly without causing corruption.

I spoke to I.T. at the company I work for and described the situation. They said if it was corrupt, it wouldn't be able to boot and get in the OS and they saw that occur a few times at different occasions. And, if a system file was being written at the time and the memory crashed, the system would be corrupt.

I'm going to forgo the OS reinstall but will test the two modules as discussed earlier with Memtest86+ 2.01. How many passes should I allow before I try the next module in the arrangement?

Archived