Corsair Community

Repeated beeping for 620HX - not enough juice?

Nuckoholic

I recently upgraded my 9800 GTX to a GTX 260 Core 216.

Whenever I stress test the GPU (e.g. by using ATITool), I hear repeated beeps from the power supply. They're not squeals, but small beeps occurring at a rate of about 3 or 4 per second.

This never happened when I was using the 9800 GTX. Could it be because there's not enough juice to power all the components in my rig? My specs are listed in my profile.

A 620w power supply is heaps for that rig m8, I have similar system with a 750w but only went that bit higher to sli later if i wanted to.

Didnt know power supplies could beep are you sure its that? Mobo beeping possibly? noticed your oc'd to 3.9Ghz, how much vcore you feeding your chip and are you running stock cooler?

If your certain its your psu, the only issue i could think of is that youve wired to much on to one rail and its overloading, check your wiring and make sure your utilizing your rails correctly.

Hope that helps :)

I thought if one rail is overloaded the PSU automatically uses the other rail to decrease the load? In any case, I still have to use two different rails because each plug only has one 6+2 pin PCI-e output.

Anyway, I also thought that the 620HX was more than enough, since Corsair overbuilds their PSUs. I'm feeding my E8400 with 1.328V and it's being cooled by a TRUE-120.

I just want to know what those beeps are...I'm sure there's an explanation. But then they only come up when I use ATI stress tool. When I play a game like Fallout 3, I don't get the beeps.

Even I'm powering a bunch of things, the 9800 to the 260 shouldn't be TOO much of a difference. I mean, they recommend 450 min. for the 9800 and 500 min. for the 260.

Out of the ballpark a touch here and probably not but it has caught me out once or twice:)

A lot of Overclocking monitors use the mobos onboard error beep to sound the alarm when a temp goes out of spec, keep a close eye on your cpu\gpu temp while running test perhaps, also check what temp ati tool is set at to sound the alarm, could be set lower than card is capable as default?

Another way to rule this out would be to wind your gpu fan up manually to 95-100% and then run test just to rule it out. Could also be some form of clash with ATI tool and your gtx260. I had all sorts of problems running Ntune when I got my 260, had to wait for driver update before last just to be able to use it.

Thought I'd mention it, its caught me before!

As far as PSU goes load wise your way under its maximum output, you would be lucky to be pulling 300-350 watts at full load

Rail load is my one and only theory if its definitely the culprit beeping! You said you only have one 6 pin per rail but did you put this in yourself or has a shop done it? Possibly have used a splitter? Lost a 7950Gt like that once from a shop install.

Sorry if this doesnt help you!

On another note, what temp at full load are you getting out of your cpu at that voltage?

Im running at 1.29375v's 56 degrees full load on a noctua UH12 cooler, soon as I bump over 1.3, start getting low to mid 60's, too warm for my liking but wondering weather my cooler is doing its job properley if you can get that voltage or are you running toasty?

• Corsair Employees
If you are not getting any errors in any other situations I would suspect a conflict with your video card or the drivers with ATI Tool. The beeping is most likely coming from the video card or the motherboard, our PSU has no component in it that would be able to make a beeping noise.

Hmm...I just tried stress testing it with 3DMark and a couple other intensive 3D games. I don't hear any of those beeps, but it still seems like there is a fairly loud whirring/almost high pitched sound.

I remember even before I got the new GTX 260 there were a few occasions when there was a high pitched sound whenever my rig was under stress. It was pretty bad at first, then it went away after a while so I thought nothing of it. I'm pretty sure it was from the power supply though.

The current whirring also does seem like it also comes from the power supply. It's not as bad as the high pitched sounds I heard before but it's still noticeable even over my loud fans.

• Corsair Employees

If the sound is loud enough to be bothersome, then we can try replacing the PSU for you, however its hard to say at this point if the PSU is the root of the problem. If possible you may want to test the PSU in a different system to make sure you have the same problems.

If you would like to try a replacement, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived