Corsair Community

Looking for help

Webw0lf359

Hi,

I'm looking for answers to a strange problem (this will take some explaining)

1. I had a stable system consisting of a Nvidia 680i motherboard, Q6600 and the RAM in my spec. Dominator 2*2Gb PC8500. It was stable and served me well however I wanted an upgrade.

I bought a DFI P45 Lanparty DK T2RS Plus motherboard (kept all the other spec the same.) Upon reinstalling Vista (32) the system was OOCT, memtest and Prime (12 hours) stable at stock and at 3.2GHz overclock.

I then struck a problem. 3D video failed, the driver would fail and Vista would stop and restart it. It happened in 3Dmark 05/06/Vantage and in BF2 and Crysis some times in seconds others in 5 minutes (but never longer) .

What has this got to do with Corsair I hear you ask??

2. The interesting bit.

I assumed it was the video card or the new motherboard I had bought, I took the board back swapped it for another (same) and later the current Asus board I am using (due to the Dominator not being on the recommended list for the DFI, it is for the Asus) . Same result 3D Failure.

I then borrowed a 8800GTS (320) off a friend ..same result (btw this card and my 8800GT work flawlessly in other machines)

3. The reason I'm on this forum.

I then swapped out the Corsair RAM for another Brand 2*1 Gb ..everything works fine!!!

To recap.

The system Memtests at 5-5-5-15-2T @2.1V

It will OCCT 1 hour and Prime blend test for over 12 hours

But fails in 3D in seconds, swap out the RAM and everything works.

Can anyone help. I'd like to use the 4Gb I have bought and not be stuck at 2Gb my intensions are to use Vista64 and benefit from 4Gb.

• Corsair Employees
I would recommend that you load setup defaults in the BIOS, set the tested settings for the memory and then test both Corsair modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU. Let us know if you can duplicate the issue with both modules individually, or just with a single module. I know you probably do not want to change your overclocking settings, but even though you are passing your stress tests, we want to be able to completely rule out the overclocked settings as a possible issue.

I would recommend that you load setup defaults in the BIOS, set the tested settings for the memory and then test both Corsair modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU. Let us know if you can duplicate the issue with both modules individually, or just with a single module. I know you probably do not want to change your overclocking settings, but even though you are passing your stress tests, we want to be able to completely rule out the overclocked settings as a possible issue.

Thanks for the rapid reply

I have already done this, I have spent the best part of 2 months working over this. I have memtest'ed (ver 2.01) both sticks individually with everything at stock (I always do before overclocking anything). I have also tested both at relaxed timings and using some advice on other fourms regarding sub timings all are memtest/occt and prime (blend) stable but 3D fails, the system is currently at 3.2Ghz with 2*1Gb of other PC8500 RAM @1071 and this works under 3D.

I have built and fixed 100's of PC but I have never come across something like this, and to be honest I'm struggling to fathom this. I put the DFI down to 'just one of those things' but now with a Asus (which has the Dominator on its recommended list) i'm really stuck.

Can you tell me the sub timings for these sticks so I can elimate a poor EPP profile (I have read on some forums the Dominator sticks can have an EPP profile that is too tight and this can create issues. BTW the other RAM is on auto for everything apart from the main timings 5-5-5-15.

Archived