Corsair Community

Hx620

MrVivi

First let me say sorry for my bad english.

I have HX620 PSU on my current configuration that i plan to change and i im interested will this PSU be good enough for the new configuration.

The new configuration will be:

MBO: Asus Rampage Extreme

MEM: Kingmax 1600MHz 2x2GB DDR3

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz

PSU: Corsair HX62OW

HDD: Seagate 320GB SATA II & Seagate 400GB SATA II (i would like to add 1T HDD latter)

VGA: Saphire Radeon 4870 X2

PCI TV Card (not sure yet)

8 Case fans 1 CPU fan

G9 USB mouse G15 USB Keyboard

USB printer and USB 2.5 HDD

i would thank you for a speedy reply.

• 4 months later...

About 4 months ago i asked and checked your calculators abaut HX620W powering my new configuration. After i consoulted 3-4 other forums i decided to buy HX620 but i have to say that it is not performing to my expectations my first problem with my new configuration was and still is VGA Temp and after some serius checking only thing to blame was the PSU still i went and got 3 stronger PSU units and tested my configuration and the card heat problem disappeared so the only conclusion is that the card was seriusly underpowerd wich menifested it self as a heat problem.

(115+ C heat problem for wich the card and in turn computer crashed)

Im disappointed because i was 100% asured this PSU can work with my configuratio by you and all other i contacted but wich is obiously not the case and now i have to buy a new stronger PSU in wich i lose cash because even if i sell this one no ones gona shell out more that half the price for used PSU and not to mention hours of work trying do figure out what the hell is wrong, all this could have been avoided with three words "may not work" and i would have gone for the stronger one as it is i got.... and realy pised.

P.S. Sry for my bad English.

• Corsair Employees

The HX620 has enough power for your system, if there is a problem with the PSU then it would not be because it is not able to provide enough power. If you like we can try replacing the unit for you, just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Are the system crashes random, or are you able to reproduce them under certain conditions?

Well i was talking with AMD and Sapphire people and they agreed that the PSU was the problem, they also said that my PSU is not strong enough for their 4870X2 card and that they have had some complains from people owning this PSU and paring it with 4870X2. They also said that underpowering a card can lead to exactly this kind of heat problem. Besides i did try other PSUs that run my configuration without heat issue or crashes.

I have also tryed to RMA the PSU (or rather return it and pay the diference for TX850) in my local store but they said it was my own damn fault for not buying strong enough PSU in the first place (exact words), that i can only buy i new one.

If i RMA it with you direcly i could buy a new HX1000 for the money needed to ship this PSU to you then recive a new one (if i get a new one) back from you so i dont think thats a good option for me. Besides this PSU is not certified by AMD or Sapphire so i dont think i would get a new one on the account_ i was not smart enough to buy a stronger and certified one.

And for the crashes they happen when i start a game or any 3d aplication that requires my card to work on 750/900 for more that 15 min i supose this is when it trys to draw the most power and the temperature jumps to 116+ C this is as far i can mesure because card either crashes or it shuts it self down to protect it self. Anyhow i have tryed to run the PSU with only the basic in the case, no fans no DVD-ROMs, one HDD, one memory slot, apsolute minimum and still the problem persist as long the HX620 is inside.

But like i said when i add a stronger PSU heat and crash problem is no more.

So i suppose the HX620 series can take my configuration but my unit cant wich is a shame at least for me because i rather like how it looks and the fact its modular.

P.S. Again, sry for bad eng.

• Corsair Employees

Keep in mind that our HX-620 is the equivalent of or superior to many other 750w watt units due to our design criteria.

As I stated above:

The HX620 has enough power for your system, if there is a problem with the PSU then it would not be because it is not able to provide enough power. If you like we can try replacing the unit for you, just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Well after checking the courier services around here i came to the conclusion that buying a new PSU would be cheaper that to RMA this one.

So THX anyway and i realy hope i wont have to come and talk to you again after buying a new one.

I know but the only sevices i have are local and they are expensive as hell after the phone lady stoped counting the things i need to pay i had a headache.

There are some cheaper foren services but to use them i need to trevel to one of the bigger cities wich are not close so when you calculate in the trip its just not worthed.

THX Anyway.

Archived