Corsair Community

Explosive 520HX

ghoti

I've requested technical support twice in the past week regarding my new PSU, which blew a capacitor immediately after being plugged in last Sunday. I'm waiting to RMA the thing until I have an answer to my questions, but I have yet to hear anything. If I still haven't heard anything by the end of the day tomorrow, I will be deeply annoyed.

I've been using the "click here to contact us" link at the bottom of the technical support page. No one has responded to me, hence I have no case number. I'd prefer it if you simply responded to my original message rather than making me go through it all again on the forums.

• Corsair Employees

I am looking into this issue, but it appears that the link you are clicking may not be directing messages to the correct address.

In the meantime, if you can post your questions here, I will be happy to help you.

Well, if you really want to discuss this on the forums rather than by email, I'm willing to do so. In short, I'm concerned about the quality of the components you're using, because power supplies are not supposed to emit billowing clouds of acrid smoke within thirty seconds of being plugged in for the first time. Yet there are multiple reports, both on these forums and in the Newegg customer reviews, of your power supplies doing exactly that. I'm worried that if I were to get a replacement from you, I have no reason to believe it wouldn't do the exact same thing - possibly when I'm not around to yank the plug. I'm worried that my other components may have already been damaged, either by the malfunctioning power supply or by the electrolytic fluid it sprayed when the capacitor blew. I'm worried that I've spent a good chunk of money on a brand new computer that I haven't even managed to turn on successfully yet.

Basically, what I want from you is a reason why I should ask for a replacement 520HX rather than a refund - and a reason why I should trust your products. You

that your PSUs are "Guaranteed Not To Dramatically Explode", but the smell that still lingers in my carpeting begs to differ. I decided it was worth it to spend a little extra because of your reputation for quality, and my PSU exploded. That does not make me happy. If you can tell me honestly that this was a complete freak occurrence (despite the multiple similar reports on the forums), or better still that it's a problem you've addressed by changing either your production or QC processes, I will gladly accept a replacement. If you tell me that some HX models have an undetectable fault that causes them to blow unexpectedly and there's nothing to be done about it, I will sigh, request a refund, and try and find another manufacturer - but I'll respect you for your honesty, and will keep using and recommending Corsair memory products.

And please fix your technical support request link. Your customers shouldn't have to register for your forums just to get support, and in any case email is both more convenient and more private.

• Corsair Employees
There will inevitably be failures with any type of electronic device, I am not aware of one company that manufactures and sells electronics that have a perfect 0% failure rate. I can assure you that we use high quality Japanese capacitors rated up to 105C, and this is likely a fluke. Our overall return rate for our PSUs is incredibly low. Compared with the amount of units we actually sell, the return rate is less than 0.05%, and the amount that we receive that are actually defective is even lower than that. I apologize that you had a hard time reaching us initially, if you ever want to send an email directly to us, please send it to ramguy@corsairmemory.com, or you can call us at 800-205-7657.

If you're saying this really is an extremely rare event, and you're standing by your hardware suppliers, then I will give Corsair another chance. Obviously no component is ever foolproof - as long as there isn't some systemic problem, I'm happy to write off a dud as just a dud. I'm slightly frustrated that it took a week to get my questions answered, but I'm not going to hold a broken link on your website against you. Thank you for addressing the problem once I managed to bring it to your attention.

I'll request an RMA and get the PSU sent back as soon as possible.

Archived