Corsair Community

Is there a difference between TwinX and single sticks?

HarryKrishna

I have an ABIT KV8 MAX3 mobo (latest BIOS 2.0) and the AMD 64 3200+. And I bought a Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2PT 1 GIG package. I have been having a ton of lockups and reboots. I had the memory in slots 1 & 3 and the Dim set to 2.7, but that did not help at all. Also tried the CAS left to SPD setting (3 3 3 8 - ????), as well as tried manual (2.5 3 3 6, 2.5 3 3 7, 2.5 3 3 8 - and was using 2.5 as that is what I seen posted to use on an AMD 64 in the memory guides here) and none of those worked. I am not even OC's in the system at all, though the KV8 MAX3 normally runs at 204 mhz from factory. I don't even need to run a 3D game for the system to lock up - even just surfing the net to look up this problem would halt the system. I had also tried before this some Geil Ultra twin pack, and same problems. But if I put back in this cheap Elixer PC3200 memory (Nanya chips) that I bought at a swapmeet, everything is fine. Any suggestions? Or one question that seems not to have been asked on here is . . . . can an AMD 64 K8T800 mobo have compatability issues with dual channel memory (for the P4 type mobos) as it is only a single channel capability board? Should I instead buy 2 single chips?

• Corsair Employees
Please test the modules one at a time at Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. In addition, please make sure that you have any performance setting set to bios default or AUTO. Then please use [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to test the modules and let's make sure one is not failing!

Didn't run the memtest yet, but I think its solved anyway. I went back to Fry's and bought another Abit KV8 MAX3 and a 450W PS. And now everything seems ok. But, it was either the original mobo was bad (and was ver 1.1 anyway, new one is 1.2), or my 350W PS was either not strong enough, or going bad as well. Either way, I am happy! Thanks for trying to help though!

Archived