Corsair Community

ASUS V2-P5G33 (ASUS P5K-VM motherboard) will not post on CM2X2048-6400C5

idontreallycare

I'm trying to get a system based on an ASUS V2-P5G33 working. This ASUS barebones system apparently contains an ASUS OEM version of the P5K-VM motherboard.

I've installed the CPU & cooler and one stick of RAM. When I apply power and hit the on/off button, the lights come on and the fans spin up, but there is no POST beep, and no POST video output on the motherboard VGA output.

What am I doing wrong??

Details:

ASUS V2-P5G33 Barebones (containing P5K-VM motherboard & 300W powersupply)

Intel e8500-e0 CPU with stock cooler

2 sticks CORSAIR CM2X2048-6400C5 ram (one stick installed)

Note: If I remove the stick of ram and power-on, I get one-long & two-short beeps, indicating that there is no ram. This leads me to think that the -e0 version CPU is compatible, or at least bootable until I can flash the CMOS.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

I always advise Value Select DRAM for those OEM boards.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

My apologies, I'm a n00b here, what is Value Select DRAM?

Should I RMA the ram or is it able to work on this mobo?

i.e. is there any to get the system to POST so I can set voltages, etc manually?

With OEM machines I advise that it is preferable to use value select DRAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=valueselect&x=0&y=0

You can return your DRAM for value select, but RMA to Corsair would necessitate there being something wrong with the DRAM. Not something wrong with the relationship between the system motherboard (OEM) and the DRAM. If the DRAM is tested to be erroneous, then you can RMA. If the board does not work with the DRAM then you can not.

The QVL (Qualified Vendor List) of DRAM for your board shows:

CM2X1024-6400C4 and CM2X1024-8500 as workable in your system. It does not show CM2X1024-6400C5 although one would think that they would work. Have you tried a single stick in all the slots?

http://www.asus.com/999/html/share/1/txt/1/pdf/V-P5G33-QVL.pdf

Well, here's the latest.

I borrowed some known-good CM2X1024-6400C4 from a friend. Booting of this ASUS-QVL-approved ram resulted in the same results. No POST, no post beep.

So I'm reaching the conclusion that it's not the ram. I'll be back if ram continues to be an isuse.

Thanks anyway...

Well, here's the latest.

I borrowed some known-good CM2X1024-6400C4 from a friend. Booting of this ASUS-QVL-approved ram resulted in the same results. No POST, no post beep.

So I'm reaching the conclusion that it's not the ram. I'll be back if ram continues to be an isuse.

Thanks anyway...

Sure thing. Very likely the mainboard. Good troubleshooting. Let us know if we can help you.

Archived