Corsair Community

TX750 Problem?

manolo

Hi.

I'm going to be as thurough as possible so please bear with me.

Had same setup before but with a P5E3 Deluxe. Would not post or produce video at all. Mobo diode was on, fans spun up then system would either shut off or keep spinning but not producing any video or beep.

Sent it back to the dealer, they said it was fine. Once I got it back it still wouldn't post.

Sent in entire computer. They said it posted sporadically. Changed the mobo to a P5E3 Premium. They tested it. Everything was fine.

Got system back. Installed XP 32 and Vista 64. No prob. Did some benchmarking in XP. Prime 95 would run but system would die. Various bios settings would make the point of when it died off differ so I though "Ok, it's a settings thing."

One game installed, "Assassins Creed". The day before yesterday I could play for a couple of hours. Yesterday the system died twice. Today I played for about 15 minutes and then the system died.

Normally when this happens I just unplug the power cord, plug it in and I'm good to go. Today however I found myself back to the type of problems I had with the P5E3 Deluxe.

Cleared The bios. Both without and with removing the battery. The system would post to bios but died on me again. Sometimes it posts to bios and then dies, sometimes it spins up and sometimes it does nothing.

The times it does post is always when I have unplugged the power cord after system dies.

As are the times it does nothing always when I haven't unplugged the power cord.

Other things I've noticed while the system was still working:

When I press the power button, the fans always spins up, then dies for a second or two followed by normal start up. I pressume this is the way the psu or mobo works?

12V rail. Not counting the cpu-z hw monitor which states it around 11.2V. The bios has showed me as high as 12.004V. The lowest was tonight when I barely made it in to the hardware monitor section of the bios where it stated 10.808V.

Questions:

1. Could it even be the psu considering the system first didn't work at all with the Deluxe, then worked with the Premium and then not at all again?

2. If so, would the erratic voltage be evidence of that or is that a normal fluctuation?

This is my first post so I'm not sure you can see my setup. So the short version is: TX750, P5E3 Premium, TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX G, Asus EN8800GTS 512, Antec 182. While trying to post all other devices have been disconnected.

Many thanks

/Manolo or Mugs if you prefer.

• Corsair Employees
I wouldn't trust the voltages that are being detected by the software, they can be off by quite a bit. Normally a PSU will not sporadically work, it will either work, or it won't, so I would suspect that there may be some other issue. The only way to know for sure would be to test the PSU in a completely different system to see if you have the same problems. I would also suggest running http://www.memtest.org to make sure that you do not have a memory related issue.

Hi RAM GUY.

As far as running memtest that is a no go. The computer will not stay on for that long. I only reach the bios about every tenth try. I forgot to mention a couple of things.

1. If I do not turn the power off completely, using the switch on the psu or unjacking the cord, nothing will happen at all. No fans spin up, the LED will stay on though. This still means it could be something wrong with the cpu or mobo or perhaps even vga. Tried out a new mem today (******** 1333). Same thing. I think, or at least hope, that I can cancel the mems from the equation.

2. Today I've been able to reach bios three times and for the first time ever, as far as I can remember, the system did not spin up, die for about a second and then spin up again. It stays spinning and reached the bios. I wonder why this is.

3. When I turn the psu on I can see a little spark inside of it. Very little. Perfectly normal I guess.

Well, that's it for now. I'm gonna borrow a friends Zalman 850W over the weekend to see if there is any change.

Could, if it is faulty, the psu burn the motherboard and or devices such as the cpu and vga?

Many thanks

/Mugs

• Corsair Employees
Does the PSU consistently power off or reboot when you try to turn on the system? If so, you may want to try a simple PSU functionality test. If the PSU powers on and stays on, then there is a possibility that your system is triggering the OCP/OVP (overcurrent and overvoltage protection) circuits on the PSU due to an out of spec signal from the motherboard. If this is the case then I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to be sure. If the PSU is still not powering on properly then let us know and we will be happy to replace it!

Hi again.

Thanks for all answers and suggestions.

Borrowed a friends psu.

The computer was solid as with a (bios/cpuid hw monitor) rating on the 12V rail of 12.04V. Would not change during Prime95 at all.

Put back my TX750, the computer would start and go in to bios at a starting value of 11.56V on the 12V rail. 10 min later it was down to 10.808V. After that it crashed.

No RMA required. My dealer took it back. Still wating for the replacement. Many thanks.

/Manolo

Archived