Corsair Community

I Think I made a Mistake

Ginns

All,

First, Ram Guy, a few months ago I asked for advice on memory for my new Asus P5N32E-sli MOB. You suggested the twin 2x4096 6400C5DHX. That's 4 gb of ram and it's working beautifully. Man, my computer is fast. I also have the EVA 8800GTX Super Clocked 768 ram video card to go along. When I turn on my computer the lights in Pensacola dim while it comes up to speed.

Anyway, here is my mistake...I think. My system is not yet in a box, its on my work bench where I can change parts or move things around. Everything now works on it and i was getting ready to put it in the box when I noticed the two empty memory slots. I said to myself that I can put in to more 2x4096 6400C5DHX modules and that would give me 8 gig of ram. Now that would be cool..I thought. So I bought them from NewEgg and just got them in last night and of course when I out them in it didn't work. The MOB did not post.

I've been reading through the forum today and will try a few things when I get home tonight like changing the bus speed and voltage. But I did notice something this morning in my sales slip that I didn't notice when I bought the memory, the number on those two sticks is 2x4096 6400C5DHX G.

Does that "G" at the end change everything? Did I make a mistake and bought the wrong ram?

Thanks and keep up the good work. All of you do a great job in getting us out of a mess. Even though it's fun getting into a mess because, well, I learn a lot from each experience.

:biggrin:

All,

I bought the memory, the number on those two sticks is 2x4096 6400C5DHX G.

Does that "G" at the end change everything? Did I make a mistake and bought the wrong ram?

:biggrin:

No, the G stands for "green" meaning ROHS compliant, meaning lead free, just like your first set of ram. Only the label is different now.

keep in mind when you run 4 modules a dram speed of 667 is suggested aswell as upping the northbridge voltage with +1.5 volts and set the dram voltage to 2.1 volts.

Run memtest twice to check stability

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to a CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from-->
AI Tuning = Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex = Disabled
LinkBoost = Disabled

Extreme Tweaker Screen

FSB & Memory Config
FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 333 (1333)
MEM (DDR), MHz = 333 (667)

CPU Configuration

CPU Multi = 9
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled 
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Enhance Intel Speedstep Tech = Enabled

Chipset

Memory Timing Setting
tCL = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
Command Per Clock = 2 clocks

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 55 - 60  
Async Latency = Auto

Voltages
Vcore  = Auto
Vdimm (DRAM Voltage)  = 2.0v
1.2v HT = 1.2v
NB Vcore = 1.30v
SB Vcore = 1.55v
CPU VTT = 1.35v

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

DerekT,

It sure looked like that was going to work, but unfortunatley it did not. I made the changes in the Bios then put in the two sticks in A2 and B2 and turned on power: it never went to post. I then turned off power and turned it back on and quickly left the room...that sometimes works...but it didn't. When I peaked in, the scrsen was still blank.

Here is an interesting observation. When I first made the changes to the bios and rebooted without putting in the additional memory, the DDR bus speed read 667 as you suggesrted. I then turned off the computer, put in the other two sticks and turned on power. That didn't work, so after a few tries I then turned off power and removed the memory, leaving only two sticks in A1 and B1. I rebooted and the DDR bus speed went to 800. I had to enter the bios where it still read 667, save and exit, then the DDR bus speed read 667.

I also tried putting the other sticks in A1 and B1 and it worked as long as all four sticks were not in.

See what you think.

Enter the BIOS. Load setup defaults. Save setup defaults and then enter the values I gave you. Insert a single stick in slot one. Memtest. Remove that stick and insert the second stick in slot one. Memtest. Remove that stick and insert the third one in slot one. Memtest. Remove that stick and insert the fourth stick in slot one. Memtest.

Results?

No, the G stands for "green" meaning ROHS compliant, meaning lead free, just like your first set of ram. Only the label is different now.

keep in mind when you run 4 modules a dram speed of 667 is suggested aswell as upping the northbridge voltage with +1.5 volts and set the dram voltage to 2.1 volts.

Run memtest twice to check stability

Ram Guy,,

Thanks for the quick reply.

He's not Ram Guy :)

DerekT,

It took me a while to figure out the ISO thing on the cd. That was interesting. Ran the memtest as you stated and here are the results:

All four seperately showed the following:

RSVD = 52M

MemMap = e820-std

Cached = 2047m

Cache = on

ecc = off

Pass = 1

ERR = 0

Memory tests passed.

Roger that. I'll work on that next.

By the way. I now have three sticks working. I one in A1, B1, and B2. If I put the fourth in A2, it won't post. I'll go ahead an finish up the tests. Be with you in a few hours....I have to mow the lawn and vacumn. :D:

DerekT,

WOW!! That CPU-Z is amazing, excellent ststs. Don't know what most of them mean, but it was cool looking through them. I did make a mistake in one of my posts. The mem sticks work in A1, A2 and B2. But not when I put one into B1 or when all four are in. Interesting.

Attached are the results of CPU-Z.

No rush by the way. I appreciate the help and I can see you are helping out a bunch of folks. I still have my old computer right next to the new one. I just switch the internet cable back and fourth. It's fun.

Thanks,

cpuzGinns.txt

DerekT,

Here are the graphics for CPU Mem and SPD. By the way, as I was running yesterday: I'm training for a Marathon so I do a lot of running, so I do a lot of thinking to keep my mind off the pain. Anyway, I realized that if I put all four sticks in the computer doesn't post. If I remove the stick from B1, then the computer does post.

So, this morning, before I went running at 0530, I took one stick put it in A1 and the computer posted. Then A2, the computer posted, then B2 and the computer posted. Finally, I put the single stick in B1 and it did not post. Could I have a bad B1 slot or is that a voltage thing? :eek:

Your thought.

GinnsM.jpg.873e71719a854bd2db5e080b37d7f0bf.jpg

GinnsSPD.jpg.c8551a181c5fcdce938a0a5b362668a4.jpg

That single stick in B1. Can you put it in A1 and get a post? If so, you have a bad slot and RMA of the motherboard is the way to go. Make sure, before you RMA the board, that you document the boards serial (From the board itself) number to compare with the new RMA board.

DerekT,

I think you are right. I'll go ahead and start that process with Asus. I'll see you on the other side. Thank you, thank you for all your help. It was great logical troubleshooting to the actual faulty part. I also learned a great deal on Memtest and CPU-z. Didn't know about that until you guided me in that direction. Thanks.

Six two and even, over and out.

Ginns :D:

Archived