Corsair Community

Corsair Ram problem

mdgosch

First off here are my system specs: p4 2.4 ghz mb: Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra 2 Ram: Corsair CMX512-2700LLPT 512MB DDR333 XMS2700 Low Latency SPD Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader video: Hercules 9700pro 420 watt power supply Ok I have decided to upgrade to 1gb of ram total. This is the item description of what i ordered: Corsair CMX512-2700LLPT 512MB DDR333 XMS2700 Low Latency SPD Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader seems like the same thing to me. I get the ram in today and I go to install it and I get all kinds of memory failure errors. I have a total of 3 DIMMS for ram and I try the new ram in both DIMM # 2 and #3 with the same results, errors. First I am thinking it may just be a bad memory module so I take out the older one and replace it with the new one...boot it up and everything works fine, which eliminates the bad ram theory. I am now at a lost to know what is wrong. As far as my motherboard goes they say it has a max ram capacity of 2gb so that cant be the problem either. Any ideas on what could be the problem. Tks in advance Mike

• Corsair Employees
This MB is not dual channel and as you add more memory you might need to relax the timings. I would try the modules in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings to Cass 2-3-3-6 then test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url].

[quote name='RAM GUY']This MB is not dual channel and as you add more memory you might need to relax the timings. I would try the modules in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings to Cass 2-3-3-6 then test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url].[/QUOTE] K correct me if i am wrong but with the bios i have i cant change the cass settings...also in regards to the voltages my bios only has the options normal +.1V +.2V I am not sure what the normal voltage equates to.

I discovered another possible problem with my ram.....on closer inspection of Ram i noticed the new one on the hologram sticker has the following series of numbers on it 2225 On the older stick of ram in the same area it says 225 - T1 Could this be part of the problem?

• Corsair Employees
No, they are the same! Just one is a bit older. And you can change the settings, at the main bios screen hit CNTRL + F1 and you will see the extended bios menus! Then set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to “3”. If that still has errors I would try Cass 2-3-3-6! And set the Dim Over Voltage Control to + .02 Volts!

I apologize for bugging you but I one question.......using the ctrl +f1 i got to the advance menu however i am little confused what to change...you say change the timings to cas 2-3-2-6........with the rass to cass set to 3 Here is what is listed in my bios not sure what numbers correlate to what: Cass latency time 2.5 Active Precharge delay 7 Dram Ras# to Cas# delay 3.......i take it this one stays at 3 Dram Ras# Precharge 3 These are my current settings

• Corsair Employees
Cass latency time 2.0 Active Precharge delay 6 Dram Ras# to Cas# delay 3.......i take it this one stays at 3 Dram Ras# Precharge 2 And Dim Over Voltage Control to +.02 Volts, and you can use [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to tst the system, so you don't corrupt your O.S.!

Cass latency time 2.0 Active Precharge delay 6 Dram Ras# to Cas# delay 3.......i take it this one stays at 3 Dram Ras# Precharge 2 voltage +0.2V I tried the above settings and I got errors on test# 5 of memtest...not sure what that means. All the other tests passed with no problem. I dont know if this would be a problem or not. I then changed the DRAM RAS# Precharge to a 3 and it passed all the tests of memtest with no problems. So i take it i can run with these settings with no trouble however am a sacrifing some performance there? IS there anything else i can do to boost the rigs performance?

• Corsair Employees
The Giga Byte MB's have not done as well as some of the other makers when over clocking like this. However, I would doubt that it’s the modules if they will pass at Cass 2-3-3-6. I would run with these settings if the system is stable. In addition, this MB is not dual channel and as you add more modules they may not be able to run as aggressive as they will with just one module!

Archived