Corsair Community

Bad Modules?

IrishPirate

Ok, first issue:

I have CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024A-6400

The system is really unstable and when I run a memtest I get errors. The timing configuration is setup to specifications (5-5-5-12). I get a different number of errors each pass ranging anywhere from < 5 to > 100.

Does this necessarily indicate a problem with the memory modules? I had this system running for about 2 years without these problems.

Second issue is with another module. I don't have the model number available to me at this moment, but there are 2 1gb modules. One module works fine but when the second module is installed the computer won't POST. I have verified this with multiple systems and I get the same problem. I assume this means the module is bad. Is is possible to RMA just the malfunctioning module and not the whole set?

P.S. I purchases both modules from newegg. Are modules purchases from this vendor covered under your warranty?

• Corsair Employees

Make sure you have set the memory voltage manually to 1.9 volts with the 6400 modules. I would then test the modules one at a time to make sure you can isolate a failing module. If one passes and the other fails then we will want to get both of them replaced for you.

It sounds like your second set will likely need to be replaced. If you can give me the part number, I can give you the tested settings to make sure that there is not a configuration issue.

P.S. I purchases both modules from newegg. Are modules purchases from this vendor covered under your warranty?

Yes!

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply.

As per the 6400 modules, I will check the voltage settings. I did recently reset the bios and I know i didn't change the voltage.

As per the other module (which is a CM2X1024-6400C4, XMS6404v2.1) I don't know how I can test the settings. There are 2 modules. If I put in one of the modules It works fine, if I put the other in either by itself or with the other it it doesn't POST. So I don't see how I can change the settings. I have it running now with the one module that functions and it has no problems at all.

Alright. Can I just get the failing module replaced or do I need to RMA both of them?

Also, I am asking about this module on behalf of a friend. Will there be issues if he refers to this forum post when he submit an RMA?

Ok, I checked the voltage, and it the default was 1.9. Just in case I specifically set 1.9 and I still got errors.

I then went and changed the frequency of the memory. The auto setting set it to 800mhz (which is what the modules are labeled to run at). I set it to 400mhz and I get no errors.

Should this be the appropriate setting? If so, why does it specify 800mhz? Could this be perhaps because my bios configuration is "DDR" settings and not "DDR2" settings. (The slots are obviously DDR2 slots, but the bios just labels them as DDR) (The motherboard is an ASUS M2V)

• Corsair Employees
Alright. Can I just get the failing module replaced or do I need to RMA both of them?
We will need to replace both of them for you, to make sure you do not have compatibility issues with a replacement module. However you can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see what other options may be available.

Also, I am asking about this module on behalf of a friend. Will there be issues if he refers to this forum post when he submit an RMA?

Shouldn't be any issues at all, just have him use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Should this be the appropriate setting? If so, why does it specify 800mhz? Could this be perhaps because my bios configuration is "DDR" settings and not "DDR2" settings. (The slots are obviously DDR2 slots, but the bios just labels them as DDR) (The motherboard is an ASUS M2V)

You would want to set the DDR Frequncy to 800MHz.

Archived