Corsair Community

4GB Voyager - unable to write

stl1859

I have a 4 GB Flash Voyager (purchased fairly recently) which was fine till a few weeks back. Now when I plug it in, in XP, I can see the folders, but cannot read or write. If I try to format, XP is unable to 'complete' the format. If I plug it in to my Linux box, I am able to mount it, and read smaller files off of it, but when reading large files, the read fails after a while. Write simply does not work. This means that I cannot delete the files I have either. I have tried using fdisk to re-partition it, with no success. Fdisk is unable to touch the partition table. I have tried dd to write blank data on it, again with no success. If I plug it out, and plug it back in, the files are all intact, and the smaller files are perfectly readable.

I have many critical files on this USB drive - is there no hope of retrieving them or at least destroying them ? I would at least like to delete the files before discarding the drive.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

• Corsair Employees

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager)

If you still have problems we can get it or them replaced, please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Thanks for responding.

I have tried every formatting trick out there , with no luck ! The command that you suggest comes back with "Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable" . I even tried formatting in Windows 98, and there it says the drive is 'read-only'

Anyway, I did get a RMA# , but the problem is that the drive is loaded with data, that I can read, but cannot delete. I am hesitant to ship out a drive full of sensitive data on it.

Am I totally out of luck here ?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry I do not have the answer for that I would suggest contacting Customer service. Our hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time Monday through Friday, please try to call them again at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "3" and do not hit any other extension or send an email to rma@corsairmemory.com along with your RMA# and ask them about this question.

Archived