Corsair Community

Toshiba A100 laptop won't recognize more than 1GB

Jim418

I had 2x512MB in my laptop (originally installed RAM). I upgraded to 2x1GB Corsair VS1GSDS533D2 as recommended by Corsair's configurator. The laptop will not recognize more than 1GB, but the laptop specs say it should recognize up to 2x2GB.

Thanks. I ran that test with 2x1GB sticks in the laptop.

I tried each stick individually in each of the 2 slots (first stick in slot 1, then slot 2, repeat with stick 2). The laptop worked fine in all cases.

So I don't think it is a problem with the RAM or the slots.

As I said, your system (BIOS) is reading the DRAM as either 1 X 1024 (1 Slot working) or 2 X 512 (Both Slots Working but at a 512 Maximal Read).

Remove one stick. Do you see 512 or 1024. Remove that stick and insert it into the other slot. Do you see 512 or 1024?

As I said, your system (BIOS) is reading the DRAM as either 1 X 1024 (1 Slot working) or 2 X 512 (Both Slots Working but at a 512 Maximal Read).

Remove one stick. Do you see 512 or 1024. Remove that stick and insert it into the other slot. Do you see 512 or 1024?

I think you may have misunderstood my situation (or maybe not).

Just so we're on the same page, my laptop has only 2 slots.

If I install 1x512MB, the PC shows 512MB installed

If I install 2x512MB, the PC shows 1GB installed

If I install 1x512MB and 1x1GB (in either slots), the PC shows 1GB installed

If I install 1x1GB (either stick in either slot), the PC shows 1GB installed

If I install 2x1GB, the PC shows 1GB installed

Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees
If you test the modules one at a time and you see 1.0 Gig of memory total minus the shared Video memory but still only see 1.0 Gig of memory that would suggest a problem with the BIOS and I would check with the NB Maker to see of they have a newer BIOS version available.

If you test the modules one at a time and you see 1.0 Gig of memory total minus the shared Video memory but still only see 1.0 Gig of memory that would suggest a problem with the BIOS and I would check with the NB Maker to see of they have a newer BIOS version available.

That is what is happening. I have the BIOS up to date and it is a recent update (2008).

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem!

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 (PSAAKC-VA104C) laptop.

I just purchased a 1 GB RAM (VS1GSDS533D2) for the laptop.

Laptop has 2 slots:

same thing happened,

"If I install 1x512MB, the PC shows 512MB installed

If I install 2x512MB, the PC shows 1GB installed

If I install 1x512MB and 1x1GB (in either slots), the PC shows 1GB installed

If I install 1x1GB (either stick in either slot), the PC shows 1GB installed

If I install 2x1GB, the PC shows 1GB installed"

Is there some way that we have to configue to get windows or the computer to recognize more than 1GB (actually showed 896MB only in my laptop) of RAM?

BISO setting???

anyone???

Thanks a lot.

Is there some way that we have to configue to get windows or the computer to recognize more than 1GB (actually showed 896MB only in my laptop) of RAM?

Then you need to contact your laptop manufacturer and deal with them on this matter.

This is an issue that you need to deal with at the notebook manufacturer level.

thank, is there any pointer where I can get support from Toshiba?... I got my laptop from BestBuy from Greater Vancouver BC Canada...

Toshiba's support sites links to everywhere and I couldn't really get someone I can talk to nor found a related post about the problem.

thank, is there any pointer where I can get support from Toshiba?... I got my laptop from BestBuy from Greater Vancouver BC Canada...

Toshiba's support sites links to everywhere and I couldn't really get someone I can talk to nor found a related post about the problem.

I would try here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

and then the Toshiba support here:

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/link?id=2200

Canadian Technical Support for:
Toshiba Notebooks: 1-800-663-0378

Archived