Corsair Community

XMS2 DDR2 800, 1Gb and 2Gb sticks.

redzoneos

I have Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 ram sticks currently (2x 1Gb). TWIN2X2048-6400C4 version 6.2

I am running vista 64 ultimate, and I think adding more RAM will improve my computer's performance, especially in games, and while watching movies.

Sooo.. my plan is to buy more ram (obviously), but instead of buying 2 more One Gb sticks... I want to buy 2, two Gb sticks.

Will there be any issues doing this (so I'll have 6Gb total)??

I currently have an Abit IP35-E motherboard, and Version 6.2 of the aforementioned sticks... 2, one gig sticks.

Do I have have to buy the EXACT same type of corsair RAM??? or can I buy different type, or at least a different version???

thanks!

Keep in mind that it is not advised, nor is it supported to populate DRAM slots with different versions.

When you populate all four DRAM slots it is advised to drop the bandwidth and raise the MCH voltage.

Please research this thread. Do NOT skim, rather study it. :

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?p=372404#post372404

and the subthread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

So, if you are going to run with 2 X 2048 and 2 X 1024, then you are advised to drop the bandwidth from 6400 (800Mhz) to 5300 (667Mhz) and raise your Memory Controller (motherboard) voltage ~+.2v.

thanks for your response derekT.

I actually read that link you provided before posting, but still wanted to verify that what I wanted to do is possible (quite frankly, because I don't really understand that link very well, sorry!)

To be as specific as I can, I am listing the RAM I have currently, as well as what I intend to buy.

While I realize you can't give me any guarantees, please give me an answer "based on your experience"! :) I just want to make sure that at least theoretically, what I want to do will work!

I have: TWIN2X2048-6400C4 version 6.2

I want to ADD: TWIN2X4096-6400C5 unknown version

will this be ok???? one is CAS 4, the other is CAS 5. also i won't know what version of the additional RAM I will receive.

**Note: though my sticks are CAS4, my motherboard, IP35-E has defaulted it to CAS5 timings (555,18) and I have not changed it.... my CPU (E2160) is currently overclocked to 2.8Ghz.

**More Questions: If reducing speed to 667 will hinder my performance at all, would you recommend I replace my current RAM for 2x 2Gb sticks instead of ADDING??? Do I actually NEED 6Gb for vista ultimate 64 bit??? Any other types of RAM that you might recommend??....

Soooo sorry for the various questions, I really hope you can answer them all!

Thank you so much for your patience with me :)

Those TWIN2X2048-6400C4 version 6.2 are PSC modules. Based on my experience, you will very likely get these 1GB modules to play nice with the PSC 2GB modules. I would not go with the C5 modules. I would go with the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX modules. Then you have the same fabrication company and the same timings.

You are advised, even so, to drop the bandwidth from 800Mhz to 667Mhz when you populate all four DRAM slots. As well, you are advised to raise the MCH voltage to 1.45v on your motherboard.

So, given those parameters, you have the best chance to get them to play nice.

I would strongly recommend you insert a 2 X 2048 kit alone. I run all my Vista machines with 4GB. My only 8GB machine runs with XP-64 (Virtual Testing Machine) and I have lowered the speed on the 4 X 2048 8500C5 modules.

ok thanks derekT,

I think I will take up on your "strong recommendation" to install only 2 x 2Gb sticks of ram, and pull my 1Gb sticks out, that way I don't have to reduce their speed... if I actually think I need the 1Gb sticks back in there, i can always put em in! :)

Archived