Corsair Community

A7N8X-UAY w/ Dual CMX512-3200C2 and Radeon 9600

invisible

While this problem verges on a compatibility issue with a game (although I feel the problem isn't really between the game and the memory, but between the memory and my video card), I'm guessing this is a fine place to create this thread... Anyway, on with the information!! I have a fairly new (4 months) computer that has had practically no problems until I installed another stick of RAM recently. The only real problem that occurs is in the game Counter-Strike while loading the game. Upon the 'background' loading, there's no menu/windows in the game visible. If one were to place the mouse where these menus/windows would be, the cursor would change and it would make a rollover sound for the menu items. Yeah, it seems like a video card problem, and I've done extensive tests/changes to the video card to no avail. As the dual RAM is what causes the problem (both sticks work PERFECT by themselves), I'm resorting to asking if anyone has any help to offer. Oh yeah, I've also tried testing the modules with memtest86 and that sadly didn't succeed in offering any reason, 14 PASS (I left this run overnight due to thinking it'd run once and stop). System information is as follows: Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 System Model: A7N8X Revision 2.0 (this is basically a A7N8X Deluxe without the RAID support)/A7N8X-UAY Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+, ~2.2GHz Memory: Dual (I've tried both Single and Dual channel, no difference) Corsair CMX512-3200C2 1024MB RAM (333MHz, 2.5-3-3-6 @ 1.7 Volts) DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b Video card information: Card name: RADEON 9600 SERIES (8X, tried 4X, @ 2.6 Volts, have tried 2.5) Display Memory: 256.0 MB DDR Driver information: CATALYST 4.3 AGP arpature size: 512MB (1/2 of RAM, have tried 256 and 128 doing nothing) Fast write: On (have tried off) I have every last driver installed on my computer, as well as an up-to-date BIOS. I've reinstalled the game, as well as creating a new partition and installing Windows XP and the game, and it still encounters the same problem. So I've come to assume that the issue is between the video card and the RAM (there's no way to really tell completely). I know this issue isn't very major, I could either take it out and continue as I was, or leave it in and give up a game I enjoy. I'd rather have both options, and it'd be quite a waste if I was to just take the stick out and use it for nothing more than a paper weight. Any help anyone (especially RAM GUY) can offer would be much appreciated... It feels like this is an endless unique problem with no solution =\.

Wow!, long post. Did you uninstall any old video drivers before installing the new ones? You could check and see if there is a game patch or update available. One thing I did notice was your Dimm voltage. It should be at 2.6 volts. 2.7 if needed. The AGP aperture size should be set to 128. If you CPU has a 333 FSB, run it at the default 13x166. If it has a 400MHz FSB run it at 10.5x200. Do this to stat out with then OC after you fixed the problem. You timings look ok, but make sure the RAM speed is in sync with the CPU. I'm not sure which C2's you have, but the newer ones are reated a CAS 2.5 on AMD systems. The older ones still run a CAS 2. I'm not sure when this took effect or the version of the modules. This does'nt sound like a RAM issue. Let me know how you make out.

For one, my voltage is reversed, the AGP voltage I listed is the DDR and vice-versa. Now, as for the things you suggested I'll respond: I haven't tried installing old video drivers yet, but had downloaded them a few days ago thinking I should try that. The game itself (Counter-Strike 1.6) is run on Steam, which automatically updates itself and the games it manages. Well, the problem with my aperture size being 128MB would be 1/2 the video RAM my video card has, but I will change and try this setting. My CPU is at 13x166, which makes my DDR RAM run at 166MHz (DDR 333MHz). As for my CAS setting, I have read that they are supposed to be set at 2.5 on AMD and changed that a long while back, so no problem there. Although it might not sound like a RAM issue, the RAM is what triggers the issue. Once again, while running with only one stick, there's no problems at all. I appreciate the response, and I'll get back to you on how the things I haven't tried yet that you mentioned go, thanks.

Alright, seems like there's a little confusion here... Your AGP Aperature is actually a piece of physical SYSTEM memory that is allocated for textures, etc. It is NOT the same nor directly related to the amount of RAM on the video card itself. 64 or 128 is fine. Also, Fast-Writes should be on and if you're on anything OTHER than 8x, Sideband Addressing should also be turned on. It's not available for 8x AGP. I've had the problem you speak of before, fixed it with drivers for the mainboard and video card. You have 1007 BIOS I assume? Did you update the motherboard DRIVERS? (nForce 2 driver set from [url]www.nVidia.com[/url] or [url]www.asus.com[/url] ) Also, what revision of memory do you have? On the hologram stickers, it should say, "CMX512-3200C2 Rev x.xx." What's the "x.xx?" PLUR CK

I know what aperture is, I just read a lab test awhile back that it should be atleast the same as your RAM for video if you're running on a system that has a lot of memory. This allows the system RAM to manage the memory in a way that if there's an amount that's going through the system memory to the RAM, then it's allocated to that amount, thus causing low delays between loading it into the system RAM and sending it out to the video RAM. Fast-write is on, and AGP is running at 8X. I do have the 1007 BIOS. Yes, I do have the nvidia unified system drivers, as well as the audio drivers recommended over the nvidia ones. As for the revision, there's my original one which is 2.2, and my new one which is 1.2 (kind of odd how the new one has a lower revision number).

• Corsair Employees
I would try Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. And for the AGP size I would suggest 128 or 256 with this Video card. But I would suggest that you check the documentation that came with your Video Card, as they may have some suggestion! Then test the system with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url]. If you get errors please test the modules one at a time. In addition, 3000+ CPU speed would be 2100 Mhz. Do you have a 333 FSB CPU that you are over clocking or please tell me exactly what speed of CPU you have the settings you have set for it!

• 1 month later...
While none of the other information here `worked,` for anyone else getting this problem... Attempt to set the AGP multiplier (I think that's the correct name, otherwise it may be AGP spectrum?) to a value other than default.. No absolute clue why this was conflicting with my RAM, but it seems to have fixed my OPENGL and 1GB RAM freezing issue.

• Corsair Employees
I do seem to remember seeing some issue with ATI 9600 cards and Nforce2 chipsets. However, I was under the impression that was solved with bios for the Video Card or driver. It would really help other to know exactly what you changed!

• 3 months later...
For any with this same problem, I changed the 'AGP Spread.' It's taken me so long to reply because a family member set a password on my BIOS (by accident?). In any case, I was lazy in clearing out the CMOS. So, if you change your AGP Spread to 0.5% (I believe) it'll correct this problem. I don't know if the problem still exists in later updates of CS.

Archived