Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-6400C5 and MB-fails twice

natnael

hello

first of my english sucks but il try do my best...

I want to run the rams in 800mhz and total 8 gig on the 4 dimslots but I dont know if im unlucky or something but ive had som issues...

#1 motherbord

MSI neo-f P45

When using all 8 gb rams I got no bios (which i can understand) when using 4 and 667 mhz i got to bios and install vista 64, then made bios update change ramsettings 5-5-5-18 and 1.9 volt still couldnt make use of all 8 gig, closest i came was 6 gig with 667 mhz not 800mhz...

When having settings on default i never got a boot at all... So i returned this got money back....

#2 Maximus formulla II

when using any of my sticks the reult was "det_dram"... didnt matter if I used 1,2,3,4 sticks on any slot still same... I took from my older computer 1 stick 512 mb 533 mhz stick and I got to bios. I changed settings and put in my 2 gb sticks and still same det _dram and no post at all... I tryed raise dramvoltage still same... then i see a post on this forum where some people for same ram gets post where people say "change this in bios"

------------------------------

"AI Overclocking: Manual

CPU Ratio Control: Auto

FSB Frequency: 266

PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Command Rate: 2T (N)

DRAM Frequency: 667

FSB Strap to Northbridge: 266

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CAS# Latency: 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5

RAS# Precharge: 5

RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15

TWR: Auto

TRFC: Auto

TWTR: Auto

TRRD: Auto

TRTP: Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

Transaction Booster: Auto

Clock Over-Charging Mode: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Enabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum:Enabled

CPU Voltage: Auto

CPU Voltage Reference: Auto

CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto

DRAM Voltage: 2.0v

FSB Termination Voltage: Auto

North Bridge Voltage: 1.4

North Bridge Voltage Reference: Auto

South Bridge Voltage: Auto

Advanced CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Control: Auto

C1E Suppport: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Vanderpool Technology: Enabled

CPU TM Function: Disabled

Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

PECI: Disabled"

------------------------------

I just want to know, seriously are u suppose to make all these settings? It says motherboard can take 16 gb and u gotta tweak all these settings just to make it run 8 gigs on a level of 800 mhz even when the mb can take 1000mhz or more of the ramtype... So i replaced this maximus II formula to and got my money back... And now i wanna ask if there is any motherbord that can make use of 8 gb ram on 800 mhz which is what I got and run stable without any major settings change I can understand u gotta change ramsettings 5-5-5-18 and maybe pitch dramvolt abit but more then that I dont think I should be able to do, it should go by "auto", im no "highbrainer" on this area and dont think u gotta be but seems that way...

Im not intrested in tweakin/oc and changing just want the system to run normal and makin it run 8 gig when it can run 16 should be this hard....

so please any advice on motherboards are all wellcome and ofcouse information in general about this because I am abit confused right now...

// thanks

• Corsair Employees
You are welcome to try anything you like but with 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

You are welcome to try anything you like but with 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

thanks for the quick answer...

yes but why is that necissery to lower? I dont want that...

I mean its only 800 mhz on the sticks (there is even higher then this up to 1000mhz that should be doable on the board)and i want to use only in total 8 gigs on 4 slots (says board can take 16gig). Is all this information just false then since i need to lower?

I have returned both my MSI p45 neo-f and the asus maximus II since they didnt take my specs as i see it "lowreq" im trying to use compared to what they say they "can handle"...

so im out lookin for a MB that can handle this, do u know any MB that can handle this without tweakin and mixing that much?

Hope you understand what I mean , feels kind of sad to by stuff and u gotta go lower, then u can save money and go lower on the mhz in the first place and even if there is higher and u need to go lower thats just messed up if u ask me...

There has got to be a board that can do my 8 gig CM2X2048-6400C5 on 800 mhz and im searching for that so any suggestions?

• Corsair Employees

You can as I said try it and see, some have been able to run 4 up at the tested settings but most have not it is hit and miss. I can only give what is suggested for a specific module. If you want to run 4 modules then I would suggest getting one of our quad kits.

Q2X8G6400C4DHX

You can as I said try it and see, some have been able to run 4 up at the tested settings but most have not it is hit and miss. I can only give what is suggested for a specific module. If you want to run 4 modules then I would suggest getting one of our quad kits.

Q2X8G6400C4DHX

ok thanks for the answer, to bad i gotta get rid of the ones I got if I do that...

Im not complaining on the ram more the MB:s since its them failin...

Instead of saying this MB can take 16 gig total ram and ram speed 1600 or 1300 they should just type "this MB can run 4 gig auto and fiddle and get lucky with the timings and u might run more ram and mhz speed" since thats how it seems to be atleast with the 2 mb i tryed...I dont pay money to sit there ours tweakin if u understand what i mean, so pretty pathetic this whole thing but il just pick mb and try and return untill i find...

thanks for answering

• Corsair Employees
It is not about the amount of memory the limitation come in with more than 4 ranks of memory 2 ranks per module with un-buffered memory made with By 8 memory IC's. Or like I stated previously use one of our Quad kits will help to ensure stable 4 up configurations.

It is not about the amount of memory the limitation come in with more than 4 ranks of memory 2 ranks per module with un-buffered memory made with By 8 memory IC's. Or like I stated previously use one of our Quad kits will help to ensure stable 4 up configurations.

thanks again although i didnt understand fully all u said I do thank u for the info u seem to know ur stuff.... hopefully someone who got same ram as me and is running 8 gig CM2X2048-6400C5 can post their bios setup and their MB so i can copy :_D

Il just wait and see...

thanks ram-guy ur the best

Archived