Corsair Community

HX1000W & M3A79-T Deluxe Problems

BenBrown

I just put in my brand new HX1000W PSU last night. I powered down my pc and removed my old PSU and put in the new one. I tried to power up, but my pc would not post. I reset the bios to defaults and it booted into windows. However 3 out of 4 of my video cards showed disabled due to incompatible drivers. I reinstalled the drivers and finally got that error to disappear, however I cannot overclock my CPU at all now and my Catalyst Control Center does not work. The only thing that changed is the PSU and it worked fine when I shut it down.

I am using the two fixed PCI-e connectors for the first two cards and then I am using two modular PCI-e connectors for the last two cards. Should I use all of the modular connections for the 4 cards or is there something else that I am missing that could be wrong.

I have narrowed the boot up problems to ACC. If I disable ACC it will boot up slightly overclocked, but definably not stable. I know for sure that ACC set to Auto will not bootup and a few other settings as well (+2 all and +2.+2,+4,+2). Those are the only ones I have tried so far.

So my question is, what could be causing the issue. As stated previously nothing has changed except for the PSU and ACC worked fine before with it set to auto and my CPU overclocked to 3.2GHz.

I had to load the bios defaults to even get it to post. Once there I started changing one setting at a time until it would no longer post. The last setting I enabled was ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration). So I reloaded the bios defaults and continued setting the rest of my settings and it would boot into my previous overclock of 3.2GHz. It would only boot at 3.0GHz. I think the reason for that is because of the disabled ACC. I just put my other PSU back in after going through all of the testing and enabled ACC and changed back to my previous overclock of 3.2GHZ and it booted right up.

I have also tried splitting the four video cards to two on the fixed pci-e cables and two on the modular cables. Then I tried all four on the modular cables. Nothing there seemed to make a difference.

• Corsair Employees

If you would like to try replacing the PSU, then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Do you have any trouble with your overclocking of the CPU if you boot up in safe mode? What exactly happens, does the PSU shut off can you get into Windows?

Actually what happens if I enable ACC the computer turns on and then right back off. There is still power to the board as the onboard power and reset buttons are lit up, however pushing power or reset does nothing. I can turn the power supply switch off and a few seconds later back on and the pc will once again try and power up and then right back off.

If ACC is disabled I can boot into windows overclocked easily, it is just not stable, but I think that is due to ACC not being enabled.

• Corsair Employees
If I had to guess what is happening, then I would say that enabling this setting in your BIOS is causing your motherboard to go out of spec and trip our Overcurrent or Overvoltage protection circuits in the PSU. Its really hard to say for sure, unless you can test the PSU in a different system, but we can try replacing the unit for you, if you would like to rule it out. If you haven't contacted your motherboard manufacturer I would suggest that you get their take on the issue and see if they may be able to help you isolate it.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that Enabling Advanced clock calibration (ACC) with the Asus M3A79-T Deluxe and HX1000 PSU results in a failed power up and the PSU goes into safe mode like there's been a power cut or something and have to discon power cord from mains power for a short time. To get the PC to boot you have to reset CMOS with Jumper and make sure you disable ACC.

quite a few people are reporting same prob on asus forums in this thread and many have the HX1000 http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20080914052229609&board_id=1&model=M3A79-T%20Deluxe&page=1&count=32

i can confirm this happens with 602 bios also.

My PSU is a return from RMA and voltages look good in BIOS and PC Probe.

Regards

WOPPA

• Corsair Employees
If you are having the same issues with multiple PSUs then I would not suspect that the PSU is the root of the problem. The PSU behaves the same way regardless of whether or not you have ACC enabled so if this setting is what makes the difference, then there is something else causing the issues. From what I can tell, ACC is an overclocking setting, and I could not tell you exactly what enabling this setting will do. I would suggest contacting the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can help you isolate the issue.

Archived