Corsair Community

Only one stick (CM2x2048-8500c5d) boots but with two it wont

crappytheclown

I have had a problem with my computer starting last week. Originally I had both sticks (CM2x2048-8500c5d) in my system and my pc worked well (the only problem was that i had my sticks running at 800 rather than the advertised 1066 but i wasnt too concerned with that). To get the full 4 gigs I have upgraded to windows xp 64 bit and now to vista 64 bit. I dont remember at which point or in which os the problem arose. What had happened was that I had both sticks in but my pc wouldnt operate (no post or os). I took one stick out and everything worked fine. So for the last week or two I have been running on one ram stick and I have been checking these forums to c if there is a solution to my problem. I noticed that people have had similar experiences to mine and the remedy was to get the latest bios version, make sure the voltage is good, and to make the timing right. So today I decided to update my bios and after spending hours and the entire evening trying to update the bios, first through a windows app (which doesnt run on vista), and then through a bootable cd (which ran the flash utility but had a problem with the rom file). I have concluded that I cannot upgrade my bios so I was wondering if my problem (to get two sticks working together) can be fixed via means other than updating my bios (I dont think it even needs updating, since there has been only one update for it and in it there is nothing concerning memory.) I forgot to mention that I have tested each stick individually and each stick boots windows when its on its own; when I had both sticks in, my pc recognized it at 4 gigs. Thanks and Im sorry if my grammar is to difficult to understand.

Actually Clown, you are probably right about your BIOS. I doubt updating it will fix the problem. I have had the same problem on/off for a year now. I orignally had the problem on an ASUS P35 Deluxe/Wifi mobo where the system ran fine with 2GB (2x1GB sticks of Dominator PC8500C5D's), but then I starting getting BSOD's and the system would shut down. Upon restarting, the system would fail to even post, it would just power up...then shut down and try to restart again and again. Nothing would ever come up on the screen! With that setup, I called both Corsair AND Asus about the issue, and each had me make sure my voltage/frequency/timings setting where correct, which they were, and ultimately I ended up getting my memory replaced through Corsair. However, when the NEW sticks began having the same problem I was led to believe the problem was with my mobo's memory controller. I went as far as replacing my mobo to a Gigabyte EX38-DS4. This mobo ran the memory fine and I even had an additional 2GB for a total of 4GB, all single 1GB memory sticks. Although I set the memory to run at 800 instead of 1066 I wasn't dissapointed...until the BSOD returned, and the same repeating failure to boot began all over again. This time taking out 2 of the memory sticks solved the issue, but with games like Warhammer Online, Crysis, and Bioshock...I really had always planned on having 4GB...I'm running Windows Vista 64 as you are. Since two sticks seemed to work this time, I went as far as getting ANOTHER 4GB, this time (2x2GB Dominator 8500C5D's) to see if I could get 4GB to work using only 2 sticks....well, that has failed. No matter what I try...only 1 stick will boot up. So here I am again...stuck at running only 2GB no matter what I do..and who know how long that will last. I have updated my BIOS on both motherboards and that does not fix the problem. It's been a year now and I've had the same problem with 2 different motherboards. I run everything at Corsair's recommended settings...voltage 2.1, frequency 1066 although I've lowered it before due to Corsair support's recommendation which kind of defeats the purpose of even purchasing 1066 modules, and 5-5-5-15. Other than that I don't know what settings will work. Not sure what to tell you...anyone else heard of this??

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived