Corsair Community

marty3434

hi,

There seems to be an issue my pc where the computer locks up every now and then (~ approx 2-3 times a day), and when this happens the only thing i can do is reset the pc manually. :(:

Sometimes it happens when i am doing something, sometimes it happens when im doing nothing.

It has even locked up once when starting up windows (the windows loading screen).

I have Corsair TW3X4G1600C9DHX 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) ram.

The motherboard is a Asus STRIKER-II-EXTREME.

I have tried installing windows multiple times, i have the latest drivers and the computer is running cool (its not overheating). I also have the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

Im pretty certain there is an issue with the RAM (or specific manual configuration of it for this motherboard?) because without touching BIOS settings (striker 2 extremes auto defaults) the computer locked up very often, ~ 6-7 times a day.

After reading you website, i have changed the memory timing settings to 9-9-9-24-2T and memory voltage to 1.8v and Memory speed to 1333mhz (i figured i would make the mhz less than 1600mhz). It seems to have made it more stable - but it still locks up evey now and then ~2-3 times a day.

Eveything else in the BIOS is set to AUTO (nothing overclocked).

Is there any other settings i should be setting for this motherbaord? Or is the memory faulty?

I have attached temps of the system.

thanks,

martin

temp.JPG.534bfd240b8d5e2978d99b2118326cb4.JPG

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 1.8 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi,

When you say load setup defaults, should i leave the mhz of the memory to 1024 (i think this is what the bios defaulted the speed at - i cant check right now becuase im at work)?

I remember i ran a memtest at 1333 mhz and it passed 2 twice, but ill run another test when i get home.

regards,

martin

• Corsair Employees

I would retest the modules with the following settings:

Mem Clock Mode: Unlinked

Mem DDR MHz: 1600MHz

Memory Voltage: 1.8v

TCL: 9

TRCD: 9

TRP: 9

TRAS: 24

Command Per Clock: 2T

Test each module one at a time in the slot furthest from the CPU and see if you can isolate a module which is causing errors. Let us know your results!

Hi,

I have tested the memory sticks one by one (farthest away from the CPU) with the settings you suggested (i have attached the bios setting as images if you want to look).

The first memory stick i tested passed once, but then locked up and memtest came up with a graphical glitch due to the lockup (please see image "failed_memory.jpg" and "failed_memory_2.jpg"). Notice the funny chars in the top left ...

I then tested the second memory stick and it seemed to be ok, it passed 6 times and then i stopped it (please see image "good_memory.jpg").

I can only come to the conclusion that the first memory stick i tested is defective even tho there is no errors, because the system locked up with that stick, is this correct?

thankyou very much for the help.

bios_voltage.JPG.6fe304e11776b8af1086f1cc8703ffcc.JPG

clockspeed.JPG.54a151d49631dfdf3e0789b87383cea0.JPG

failed_memory.JPG.66acd8fc6b9a8f5a7be7d2d0605526b0.JPG

failed_memory_2.JPG.ccf6cf94964d875f27549fc17720ce59.JPG

good_memory.JPG.98de2588055d7d9dbe9528e1d790a316.JPG

Archived