Corsair Community

HX1000w PSU & 4870x2 buzz in 3D mode.

Ripperjack

I have recently built my new games rig with a Corsair HX 1000w PSU, featuring a Gigabyte 4870x2 video card.

In 2d desktop mode there is no noise, save for the very faint humm of the case fans. The PSU itself has a very quite humm, that can only be heard if you put your ear to the unit. However, when ever playing 3D games I notice a distinctive "eletrical buzzing noise". :(: The faster the frame rater the louder the buzz. If there is a pause in the game that drops me back to 2D mode, the buzz is gone.

I have the latest ATi Catalyst 8.10 drivers installed, and using the new fan control I was able to crank the fan upto near max speed, just to check if the buzzing was related to the fan speed control. Even at the fastest speeds the buzzing was still there.

At this stage I am not sure if the PSU or the video card is at fault. All other components appear to be working well.

My questions:

1. What steps can I take to try to trouble shoot this issue? Something like swapping the video card for something else?

2. Is this a common problem with the 1000w PSU and high power requirement cards, like the 4870x2?

3. If the PSU is at fault, is this grounds for a RMA? If so, do you have a contact here in Australia?

• Corsair Employees

My questions:

1. What steps can I take to try to trouble shoot this issue? Something like swapping the video card for something else?

2. Is this a common problem with the 1000w PSU and high power requirement cards, like the 4870x2?

3. If the PSU is at fault, is this grounds for a RMA? If so, do you have a contact here in Australia?

1. Try forcing Vsync mode in your games, or via the Catalyst drivers and see if the noise goes away. If this eliminates the noise, then I would contact your video card manufacturer to see if they can help you troubleshoot the card, or replace it for you.

2. Not at all, we have not been able to reproduce this in our lab with any of our PSUs.

3. We can try replacing the PSU for you at any time, although I could not tell you where the closest RMA hub would be for your location. You can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to inquire about the details.

1. Try forcing Vsync mode in your games, or via the Catalyst drivers and see if the noise goes away. If this eliminates the noise, then I would contact your video card manufacturer to see if they can help you troubleshoot the card, or replace it for you.

No, that does not seam to work. In games such as Neverwinter Nights 2, the buzzing is awful in 3D mode with VSync on or off. However, at the menu screens the buzzing is not there with VSync on, however with VSync off it is almost deafening!

Another strange thing too, in games such as Fallout 3, the buzzing appears to change pitch when I play. When I am viewing outdoor areas that are bright, for example, the buzzing is very noticeable, however, in dark areas the buzzing sound is still there but less audible.

So now it appears both a factor of brightness and frame rate effects the noise of buzzing from my PSU/GPU(Video card).

2. Not at all, we have not been able to reproduce this in our lab with any of our PSUs.

I find it odd that you have not noticed this. I have now seen two video cards, mine ( Gigabyte ) and a friends ( ASUS ), both exhibit this buzzing in 3D mode. :(:

You sure you guys have had your hearing checked? :p:

Finally, I don't suppose clipping on a few Snap-On Ferrite Beads to the PCI-e power cables, from the PSU, would help?

• 1 month later...

Was googling for some problems and stumbled on this.

It's the videocard, i just got a 4870x2 as well and mine buzzes when running 3dapps etc.

but i use a 1000w coolermaster, so it can't be your psu at fault.

it's sounds like the kind of buzzing/squealing some of the mosfets used to give off on certain nforce motherboards :/

• Corsair Employees
Was googling for some problems and stumbled on this.

It's the videocard, i just got a 4870x2 as well and mine buzzes when running 3dapps etc.

but i use a 1000w coolermaster, so it can't be your psu at fault.

I would agree. We have not been able to duplicate the same issues in our lab, and these issues seemed to start getting reported when the newer 48XX and 200 series graphics cards were released. It's easy to suspect the PSU and we would have no problem replacing the PSU if anyone feels that it may resolve the problem. However I would suggest testing the PSU in at least one alternate known working system to see if you can duplicate the same issues.

Archived