Corsair Community

second set of TWINX1024-3200C2PT to fail with A7N8X deluxe...

moxley

(I have posted this on the warranty questions board as well as I am not sure which is more appropriate). RAM GUY, Hi, I have read through many of your posts and you seem to really help people here, so please help me if you can, I am on my second set of TWINX here with a previously stable system. I just received my second set of [B]TWINX1024-3200C2PT (v 3.1)[/B] after RMA'ing the first through NEWEGG and this second set has the exact same issues. It's causing spontaneous shutdowns during heavy memory usage and starts failing memtest86 tests 6 and 7 and one fails test 5 too regardless of whether both sticks are in together in dual channel mode, or if they are put in individually. It crashes memtest sometimes on or past test 7. I have had the entire system running and testing rock stable for almost a year with a single stick of CMX512-3200C2 (v1.1). It still tests and runs fine with that stick, but if I swap it for either of the TWINX sticks (either of the sets I have had) they fail. Here are the pertinent details of my setup: [B]Nothing is overclocked. A7N8X deluxe pcb rev 2.0 BIOS 1006 Athlon XP 3000+ barton 400 fsb TWINX1024-3200C2PT timings : 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 6 Antec true power 430Watt PS 2 maxtor 80 gig drives in SATA RAID 0 config. etc[/B] So because I use this system for my job (web programmer) and my old reliable CMX512-3200C2 (v1.1) stick now belongs to someone else (I sold it to a coworker but made him wait while I RMA'd the first set of twinx, now that the replacement is here I have to hand it over).... [B]Am I just so unlucky that I have received 2 sets of TWINX1024-3200C2PT (v3.1) that have exactly the same problem? [/B] or is there a known issue with these and the A7N8X as I have heard online? I don’t think new egg reshipped the first set back to me as I returned it to Cali and the new set shipped from NJ, but you never know. [B]Is there something I should try, or are these definitely defective again, and if so what can/should I do to resolve it quickly?[/B] I have tried raising the voltage to 2.7, no help. Thanks, Jeremy (moxley)

• Corsair Employees
It would be really hard to get 2 bad modules from us, as all of our XMS modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed. I would suggest that you update the MB bios to the latest version and please test the modules one at a time. In addition, I would make sure that the 3000+ you have is indeed a 400FSB CPU. You can use [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to test the modules and I would set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. If you continue to get errors I would maybe try testing them on another MB if possible.

Archived