Corsair Community

Should this work? If so how?

bobme

My PC configuration is: MSI K7N2 ILSR / AMD Athlon XP3200+ I have installed a pair of 256MB TwinX XMS 3200+ which is working ok unless I try to run prime95. This freezes the PC after about 20 seconds. Does anyone have any experience of this setup? Is there anything specifi in the BIOS I should look at to make it work? Anything else anyone can think of? Thanks, Bob.

Welcome to the forums, bobme! When you say a pair of TwinX512, I'm assuming you mean a total of two modules, not a pair of pairs. What're your settings and what is the full name of the memory? On the module itself it'll say: TwinX512-3200LL or TwinX512-3200C2 or TwinX512-3200C2PRO, etc. As for the most important settings, you can run [url=www.cpuid.com]CPU-Z[/url] and click on the "Memory" tab. Either copy it here or take a screenshot and upload it. Also, how's your cooling in your case? Have any idea how warm the CPU is getting? What case and how many fans do you have? PLUR CK

Thanks for your help. The full name of the memory is CMX256A-3200LLPT XMS3205 V1.2 The settings from cpu_z are Size: 512MB Channels #: Dual Frequency: 199.9MHz FSB:DRAM: 1:1 CAS# Latency: 2.0 clocks RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks RAS# Precharge: 2 clocks Cycle Time (Tras): 6 clocks The CPU does run rather hot, and this may be the cause of the problem, at between 54*C and 59*C depending on loading. There is an 80mm exhaust case fan right by the CPU and another on the Antec 400W PSU also right by the CPU. Thanks again, Bob.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest setting the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and leave the performance mode set to Bios default or AUTO and if you still get errors please test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing!

I had checked that the DIMM voltage was set to 2.7 volts and I have tested the memory both as a pair and singly using memtest-86. It all passes. I would record that I have been hammering the PC doing video capture and processing solidly for over 6 hours now without the slightest problem. It's only because prime95 freezes the PC that I am concerned. As a brief history, before today I had 1 x 512MB of unbranded PC2700 memory and had underclocked the PC to produce an FSB/DRAM ratio of 1:1. With this configuration prime95 would run without a problem. Popular opinion from the MSI forum is that the CPU is too hot and this may well be causing instability. Tomorrow I shall get a better cooling fan, some better thermal paste and re-seat the CPU. I'll report back as to the result. Thanks, Bob.

Unfortunately not. However I have replaced the AMD heatsink and fan with a larger one and thus reduced the CPU temp by 5 degrees which will do for me as it's now lower than many people seem to think is ok (and higher than others). While I've been using the PC fairly heavily doing DVD video processing over the last 24 hours it has proved itself perfectly stable (Windoze hasn't but that's another story) and so I'll assume for now that all is well. I haven't [dared] tried running prime95 and will only do so if I get a problem doing my normal work. If that happens I'll try to find out as much about the problem as I can and I'll post a new thread. Thanks everyone for your help, Bob.

• Corsair Employees
Please let us know how you make out! And just a suggestion, if you can get your hands on another make of PSU just to test the system for a few days I would highly suggest it just to be sure!

Archived