Corsair Community

Asus A7N8X rev 2.0 what memory to buy

Hello Guys, I have bought myself an Asus a7n8x board and had no problems with just 1 stick, after i bought 2/512MB memory sticks i did find myself with an very unstable running computer. So what memory can i use because the Amd 2500+ is ready and willing to go very fast but it seems like the memory is all the time the problem. I have had few different brands of memory allready but it won't run good: The modules are placed in bank 1 and 3 I have my processor at MP 12,5 and FSB mem synch with processor i can run it at 182 but when i go higher then it starts to gives read and write errors. Voltage up to 2.9 Volt gave me 2 Mhz more but again those errors began. When i boot the system in standard settings and set the mem at by SPD the system starts to reboot when i make the processor run at 168 Mhz so the memory would run at 204 Mhz :( Even the increase of 1 Mhz did make it reboot. I have tried many modules allready all almost the same type : Cas 2,5/3 - 3 -3 and all the same speed type PC3200/DDR400 Who can give me hint or tip ?

Drop your multiplier back to stock and then try the memory, you want to make sure you're not causing errors by overclocking the CPU too much. Also, you might even want to drop your multiplier to 9.5 if you're trying to reach a 400FSB (200MHz) as that'll keep the overall frequency of the CPU the same as stock. You can go up from there. What version of the A7N8X board do you have? -X? -Deluxe? -VM? Make sure you've flashed to at least BIOS 1006 too! Good memory for this board is TwinX1024-3200LL, which is Corsair's matched pair of 512Mb modules for Dual-Channel setups. Remember, not all the A7N8X boards have dual channel, but I need to know what version you have! Since you've been using PC3200 memory already, it might not be bad memory that's giving you errors. Make sure your CPU isn't overheating and that you've got a good flow of air through your case! Also, Corsair's modules won't be warrantied past 2.8 volts for XMS PC3200 and you shouldn't need that much voltage for stock speeds, but I noticed you said the memory was at 204 and the CPU at 168. Running them out of sync can cause you big problems due to a data bottleneck. Always set your memory interface at 100%! PLUR CK

Try C1004 BIOS, as it is most stable (according to pershoot) but i don't expect it to change everything. 12.5 multiplier is pretty high, and probably requires a lot of voltage. When overclocking, you want to get the highest FSB possible and work things out with the multiplier. What version of the a7n8x do you have? run the RAM at 100% frequency, and try looser timings (depending on the RAM). What do you mean by Cas 2,5/3 - 3 -3? Whats your vcore? Also, being specific (hardware, settings, etc.) when asking for help will make things easier.

[quote name='xdkx']Try C1004 BIOS, as it is most stable (according to pershoot) but i don't expect it to change everything. 12.5 multiplier is pretty high, and probably requires a lot of voltage. When overclocking, you want to get the highest FSB possible and work things out with the multiplier. What version of the a7n8x do you have? run the RAM at 100% frequency, and try looser timings (depending on the RAM). What do you mean by Cas 2,5/3 - 3 -3? Whats your vcore? Also, being specific (hardware, settings, etc.) when asking for help will make things easier.[/QUOTE] I think that's a good synopsis of everything I just said! :p As for 1004, that's not entirely correct. 1006 is reccommended by Corsair because I believe 1004 still has some inherent incompatabilities with certain modules and setups. PLUR CK

[quote name='CandyKid']I think that's a good synopsis of everything I just said! :p As for 1004, that's not entirely correct. 1006 is reccommended by Corsair because I believe 1004 still has some inherent incompatabilities with certain modules and setups. PLUR CK[/QUOTE] LOL sorry =X

Archived