Corsair Community

mem fails post test(sometimes)

wolfieuk

hi there, ive recently built a pc (specs in signature) most of the time when doing the post test it says it has failed the memory test about 6/10 times (why only sometimes??) it dont seem to make any difference if im using aggresive or optimal timings it will still fail the pc dont run too bad unless im gaming then it can crash back to windows or freeze after about half an hour or sometimes go on for 2-3 hours ive updated all drivers,my bios is the latest(1007)and ive updated windows xp to sp1 and all critical and hardware specific updates have been done any ideas guys?

i have the same problem with A7N8X Deluxe 2.0, AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+ and TWINX512xms 3200 LL. check the rams with memtest86 (or windows memory diagnostic). if u got no errors there, then this message at the post seems to be something like a bug. i have got 1 error at memtest86 at one modul. i have RMAed it 2 times to my local reseller and they couldnt find some errors. now i have updated my bios to 1007, waiting to get my rams back for testing it again. if that does not eleminate the error i 'll try to update my chipsetdrivers to the NVidia ones. i worked out that the occasional message at the post may not related to the rams. let me explain what i have also find out yet: - my system with my corsair rams - "system failed memory test" - 1 error at one modul (always at the same address) at memtest. - checked my system with 1 x 256mb 333er infineon - no ram fail message, no errors with memtest - with 1 x 512mb 333er infineon - no message, no errors a friend has almost the same system with 400er infineons running on 333mhz (in sync with cpu). - and now look: he has that message too! unfortunately he has no floppydrive, so he didnt check his rams with memtest... thats interesting, and it would be much more interesting to know if he has errors in memtest. i ask myself if that means that the problem is comin from the MOBO or chipset, when using "underclocked" rams. 333er runs well, no matter which brand - 400er on 333mhz make such problems. i think this is an interesting issue, when i search in the forums and find lots of threads about the "system failed memory test" (<-try to type that in google and u 'll find lots of threads too :D: )

• Corsair Employees
I have this same MB and about 1 out 10 times I get the same post error, however, the system runs fine and will pass [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] with out problems. I would suggest that you test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and lets make sure one is not failing. For the settings or timings use these as a reference! XMS3200C2 Cass 2.5-3-3-6 XMS3200LL Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" And you will want to set the memory Frequency to 100% as well.

thanks for the replys guys,this is really annoying now,im trying to play farcry(what a game!!) and it keeps crashing most of the time it will say it is an exception access violation,saying it cant read from address 0xffffffff,does that mean anything to anybody? i'll try putting the voltage to 2.7 and see if that helps

• Corsair Employees
Cyanescens Please make sure the memory Frequency is set to 100% so the memory is running at the same frequency as you CPU! (DDR333)! wolfieuk Please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts!

• Corsair Employees
wolfieuk I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts, and you should be fine. If you should run into problems, I would look for some other cause, like maybe PSU or some type of EMI or grounding problem!

i thought it was sorted,but ive just been playing bf1942 and it crashed again :mad: any other ideas? i noticed that i had a lot of page faults(11991per sec peak) and cache faults(3750) while defragging my hd, (i had norton systemdoctor running) could that be anything to do with it? is there any other windows fault finding apps i can try?

it seems better now im running it with the side cover off and the adjustable fan turned up fully the cpu is now running at 50deg ,why is it still running so hot,ive got 2 extra chassis fans as well? over to the amd forums i think cheers guys

Archived