Corsair Community

Questions on how to lower timings?

bs6851

Hello all! I just built my first computer and have been working on overclocking the cpu for awhile and im sitting at 4.1GHz nice and stable and temps are still good but cant push it any further without doing addtional cooling ie water... In any case my question has to do with lowering timings for my ram. I hear that it will provide me with better performance so would like to do so. But dont know if its me or the ram just wont go any lower. Was hoping to atleast move down 1 cas to 7-7-7-20-2T but even at 2.0v on mem memtest has all kinds of errors. So here are my current stable settings:

Intel Q9650 (4106mhz)

EVGA GTX 260 (Core 690 MEM 1200)

RAM Corsair TW3X4G1800C8DF (1825mhz 8-8-8-24-2T)

My Settings:

EPP 2.0 MEM (Expert)

CPU Freg, MHz (4106)

CPU Multiplier (9x)

FSB- MEM Clock Mode (Linked and Synced)

FSB QDR, MHz (1825)

P1 (Enabled)

P2 (Enabled)

MEM Timing Settings (Expert)

tCL (8)

tRCD (8)

tRP (8)

tRAS (24)

CMD (2T)

AVD MEM SETTINGS

tRRD (Auto 7)

tRC (Auto 46)

tVR (Auto 12)

tWTR (Auto 19)

tFAW (Auto 15)

tReF (Auto 7.7us)

tRFC (Auto 111ns)

"Without vDroop "

CPU Core (1.25v)

CPU FSB (1.25v)

Memory (1.80v)

NForce SPP (1.37v)

nForce MCP (1.50v)

CPU PLL (1.50v)

GTLVREF Lane 0 (Auto -50mv)

GTLVREF Lane 1 (Auto -50mv)

GTLVREF Lane 2 (Auto +00mv)

GTLVREF Lane 3 (Auto +00mv)

Any suggestions?:D:

I doubt you will make 7-7-7-20 with C8 1800MHz DRAM. If that DRAM made 1800Mhz with 7-7-7-20 it would be sold at that value. Keep in mind, that with the on motherboard memory controller you are better off with DRAM speed than timings as opposed to the AMD on die memory controller which likes the lower timings since the connection between CPU and controller is so close. The connection between the CPU and Northbridge is a fair distance and thus higher bandwidth will yield greater performance. You may well be able to take the 1800Mhz DRAM to greater throughput but not lower timings. As well, you may set the CL to 8 and see if you can make lower timings such as 8-7-7-22. Personally I would try higher bandwidth.

I doubt you will make 7-7-7-20 with C8 1800MHz DRAM. If that DRAM made 1800Mhz with 7-7-7-20 it would be sold at that value. Keep in mind, that with the on motherboard memory controller you are better off with DRAM speed than timings as opposed to the AMD on die memory controller which likes the lower timings since the connection between CPU and controller is so close. The connection between the CPU and Northbridge is a fair distance and thus higher bandwidth will yield greater performance. You may well be able to take the 1800Mhz DRAM to greater throughput but not lower timings. As well, you may set the CL to 8 and see if you can make lower timings such as 8-7-7-22. Personally I would try higher bandwidth.

I will try those settings but if im not mistaken I cant increase my ram bandwidth with out increasing the cpu also and right now that not an option for 24/7 use because temps get a little higher then what I would like. I have had then it up to 1950MHz and ran memtest it passes could probably run 2000 but till I can keep temps down raise my fsb any higher is not an option. Im just trying to get the most out of my system right now. Anyway thanks for your response.

Archived