Corsair Community

GB GA-K8NNXP and 512MB64MX64PC-3200LLPT

TDNCastle

I recently RMA'd a stick of this same ram to Newegg because when I ran Memtest86 I got over 90,000 errors in each pass. After installing this new stick of RAM I get only 1 error on test #4 and always at the same failing address 0001739118C I noticed that the mobo autodetects the ram as 2-3-2-8 so I manually adjusted it to 2-3-2-6 like the memory is supposed to be. I tried upping the voltage to 2.7 and now it still gets the same error, but not every pass. Do I have a bad stick of ram again or does my MOBO just not like it? Should I try upping the voltage to 2.8? I am not really sure why I bought this RAM since it's not on the recommended list from giga-byte, but I thought, hey, better RAM is better RAM. Any suggestions? Oh, BTW, when I put my old stick of DDR266 Corsair in the mobo it tests with zero errors. (Actually I have two sticks of the old DDR266 and each tests fine, but when I put both in together the mobo won't even post.) Help!!

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and if you still get the error, can you test the module on another system? If not I have no problem replacing your module directly if you like. Please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace it!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please let me know![/QUOTE] I haven't found a compatible system to try the RAM in yet, but I did try bumping the voltage up by +0.2v. I've run memtest86 several times now without errors. (I'm not sure if that means it's running at 2.7v or 2.8v) Does this mean there are no errors now or just that the voltage increase is masking them? Or have I just found a compatible setting for my mobo? Also, what are the long-term effects of increasing the voltage? Does it shorten the life of the RAM or mobo? I'm not sure how to intrepret the results. I'm going to let the tests run overnight to see if it ever gets errors on multiple passes.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest 2.7 Volts like what you have it set to now. And we will honor the guarantee up to 2.8 Volts for the life of the module. Should be no problem, just don’t go over 2.8 Volts. Default is 2.5 volts so adding .02 Volts would be 2.7 Volts!

[quote name='RAM GUY']I would suggest 2.7 Volts like what you have it set to now. And we will honor the guarantee up to 2.8 Volts for the life of the module. Should be no problem, just don’t go over 2.8 Volts. Default is 2.5 volts so adding .02 Volts would be 2.7 Volts![/QUOTE] OK, I've done some further testing. I think my MOBO self detects the 2.6 volts so when I bump it +0.2v it is 2.8v because when I run the nVidia system utility it says it is running at 2.8v. When I run memtest86 at 2.7v (+0.1v) i get errors always at the same mem address. But at 2.8v I never get errors for memtest86. Also, I installed the RAM in a computer at work and ran memtest86. (although I only ran 1 pass for all the standard tests and then ran test 4 3 times) and got no errors. It has an intel chipset (new gateway machine). Is the K8NNXP incompatible with this memory? I wrote to Giga-byte and they suggested I RMA the RAM and try to exchange it for kingston as a lot of people are having trouble with Corsair and the MOBO. I'm not irritated with Corsair by any means, but Giga-byte should not list it as a compatible option if it's not. Can you tell me what's the deal? The thing that concerns me is this. I'd eventually like to get a second stick of 512MB. If I have to bump to 2.8v to make errors disappear with one stick, how will I know 2 sticks will even run at all? I'm just clueless as to what bumping voltage actually accomplishes. What do you suggest RAMGUY? I wish there was a way to test two sticks before my 30 days is up at newegg. Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees
Honestly, There have been a few with problems with this MB, and I have 3 of them in the lab and all of them will not over clock more the 4-5 MHz over default settings no matter what module I have used in them. However, it would seem that they do run better with a JEDEC compliant module IE: Cass 3. In addition, many users have had better luck with Rev 2.0 of this MB, but if you have Rev 1.0 I would suggest that you swap the MB with another makes model or see if a friend has a system that you can test the modules on. With Giga-Byte, I would not suggest over clocking, (IE: running any module @ Cass 2 would be considered over clocking) with this MB or any MB from Giga Byte. Instead, I would suggest either you change to a MB that's has better stability with advanced modules. Or use Twinx1024-3200 Non C2 or Non LL.

• 3 months later...
hi, i have th k8nnxp and as default spd is set for 3.0/3/3/3 using xms3200c2 pro twinx c2 (2x512). i have tried so many settings now i am going mad.i get various beeps at boot and sometimes it will load my comp real fast only to freeze in main xp window.most of th time if i set manually my timings..th dual bios will default it all to spd!!....at auto spd comp runs fine but will hang once a day...regular as a clock..which happens to always be whilst i am at work??? cas 3 is prob best i will see on here as no dual channel etc...but i would of liked it to be a bit better after spending £200 on a 'recomendation' ROBBER

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry that you are having trouble, and I would suggest you test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing! If possible I would test them in a different MB as that would help to isolate the problem

Archived